Raising GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buffy16938

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everything, I wanted to thank everyone for their help the other day. I have looked this up, but I couldn't find much. I'm taking organic in the fall, and i was wondering what other upper level classes I could take to show that I can do well in upper science classes. Sadly, physics, and a lot of Bio classes conflict with my schedule. Does anyone know any other classes that might be useful to help me raise my gpa. I don't really want to take a blow off class for the heck of it, I want someting useful. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

great...must take it...
or microbiology, which is not that difficult....

Hey Buffy,

When I spoke to some admissions people and current dental students, everyone suggested taking biochemistry (just a semester) coz if it's not already a pre-req for some of the schools you're applying to, most likely you'll have to take a biochem course in your first year at dschool... if you can handle that class (i.e. get a B or higher) I'm told adcoms look pretty favorably on that.

I also found taking Anatomy and Physiology to be really helpful (and easier than general bio, in my opinion...), both on the bio portion of the DAT and in my understanding of the human body.

Members don't see this ad :)
drdoodle said:
Hey Buffy,

When I spoke to some admissions people and current dental students, everyone suggested taking biochemistry (just a semester) coz if it's not already a pre-req for some of the schools you're applying to, most likely you'll have to take a biochem course in your first year at dschool... if you can handle that class (i.e. get a B or higher) I'm told adcoms look pretty favorably on that.

I also found taking Anatomy and Physiology to be really helpful (and easier than general bio, in my opinion...), both on the bio portion of the DAT and in my understanding of the human body.

i'm guessing that the biochem we will take in d-school is the metabolism biochemistry course, not general biochemistry (pH, kinetics, etc.).... correct?

if that's the case, try to take the metabolism course...it's difficult but good prep. for d-school.

jb!

Buffy16938 said:
Hi everything, I wanted to thank everyone for their help the other day. I have looked this up, but I couldn't find much. I'm taking organic in the fall, and i was wondering what other upper level classes I could take to show that I can do well in upper science classes. Sadly, physics, and a lot of Bio classes conflict with my schedule. Does anyone know any other classes that might be useful to help me raise my gpa. I don't really want to take a blow off class for the heck of it, I want someting useful. Thank you

Anything related to 1st and 2nd year of dental school syllabus will be good. But find out if the professors who lecture these courses give out extra work for additional credit. Many diligent students taking classes of this sort generally secure straight A even before their final.

Biosynthesis and metabolism was my favorite class I have taken to date, its tough but really interesting. I find it easier to get good grades in tough but intersting classes, compared to easy but boring classes.