Raising science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

For those of you who raised your science GPA, what did you do in order to raise it? Was it simply working "harder?" My science GPA is about 3.0 and I'm trying everything I can to raise it. I only study lecture notes, but maybe I should read the book too?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You have to be trolling ...

If you aren't, then you shouldn't be applying to dental school

Raising your science GPA is not easy. I raised it from a 3.4 to a 3.65 after three semesters. What I did differently within those three semesters:

1. Work harder
2. Work with people
3. Learn materials first, then memorize
4. Be open about getting help
5. Choosing your teachers wisely
6. My passion into getting into dental school vs. did not know what I was going do in life

With that being said, goodluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes a lot to raise a GPA. There are plenty of GPA calculators online that will tell you exactly how many credits you need to get to your expected GPA. Right off the bat I could tell you it takes about 12-15 credits of As to raise your GPA by a tenth of a point. But I got into dental school with a 3.0, so if you're almost done with your undergrad, I suggest working really hard on your DAT. If you still have a while to go in your undergrad then there's definitely time for some improvement.

Also, I don't know if your school offers it, but mine has a program called PLTL, peer led teaching lab. It's an additional lab for your lecture courses that helps out with your knowledge of the material. Taking the lab was great but what was even better was actually teaching it. You need to study as if you we're going to stand in a room full of students and teach them this material. At least, that's what has worked out for me.

Raising your science GPA is not easy. I raised it from a 3.4 to a 3.65 after three semesters. What I did differently within those three semesters:

1. Work harder
2. Work with people
3. Learn materials first, then memorize
4. Be open about getting help
5. Choosing your teachers wisely
6. My passion into getting into dental school vs. did not know what I was going do in life

With that being said, goodluck.

Thanks for the positive response. Can you explain further on your 3rd point? This might be where I'm trying to go with the point I made in my initial post where you read the text book first for exposure to the material, then memorizing after. I used to spend a lot of my time reading the text while not getting results I wanted in exams.

It takes a lot to raise a GPA. There are plenty of GPA calculators online that will tell you exactly how many credits you need to get to your expected GPA. Right off the bat I could tell you it takes about 12-15 credits of As to raise your GPA by a tenth of a point. But I got into dental school with a 3.0, so if you're almost done with your undergrad, I suggest working really hard on your DAT. If you still have a while to go in your undergrad then there's definitely time for some improvement.

I like the point you made on doing good on the DAT. I plan on taking the DAT in a year. What is the recommended time to study for the DAT. I've heard of people studying up to 8 months for it!

Also, do you mind me asking what your EC's are? I'm having trouble coming up with EC's that admissions would like to see.