Random laptop thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksmith816

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking for a new laptop and wondering what you have and what you like/dislike. Right now I'm between a macbook pro and an hp spectre, however any input would help :) I would also have this laptop through dental school (hoping I get in!!) So, anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a MacBook Pro. Love it, it has lasted me through four years of undergrad and I intend to use it through dental school if possible. I'll never get a PC again, the viruses are just horrible. My roommate got a virus just for clicking a link her PROFESSOR sent to a youtube video she had to watch for missing class. Maybe some people have good recommendations for virus protectors though if you are looking to save money. I've never had a virus and I've only had to bring it in once for repair because my WiFi chip needed to be replaced, but that only costs $60 bucks.
I love the Macbook i have now but its starting to go on me :( I went to best buy and they would only talk about HP's for some reason and basically took me away from all apple products. They sound nice though so i wanted to hear what others think!

Members don't see this ad :)
4 and a half years!

4 and a half year should not make a macbook pro go, did you update to the latest OS version? go to frys electronic to buy RAM update, your macbook pro probably has only 4 GB RAM, upgrade to 8gb RAM and it will run blazing fast again.

Reactions: 1 user
wow really?! awesome :) saves me about a thousand bucks

Honestly, I switched to a chromebook and I will never by a laptop again. I have a macbook pro but there isn't a single thing I use it for that I can't do on the chromebook. Plus, the chromebook is so much lighter and it starts up in milliseconds.

I kept my last MacBook Pro for 10 years...it still runs, but I purchased a new one last year since I could no longer receive updates on my 2006 MacBook Pro. They are absolutely worth the money for the quality you get.

Reactions: 1 users
Surface pro 4 - the stylus is so precise. If diagrams and drawings in your notes is your thing... nothing beats it. I'm assuming there will be a lot of 3d procedures to take notes on and figures to draw in dds school... I know I'll upgrade from my surface pro 3 to a 4 when I graduate.

Honestly, I switched to a chromebook and I will never by a laptop again. I have a macbook pro but there isn't a single thing I use it for that I can't do on the chromebook. Plus, the chromebook is so much lighter and it starts up in milliseconds.
What do you like about the chrome book? Like what is the main reason you switched

Don't get a MacBook Pro yet! Major update coming so there will be a new MacBook Pro model out this fall. If you buy one now you're buying like a two year old machine.

I have a MacBook Pro. Love it, it has lasted me through four years of undergrad and I intend to use it through dental school if possible. I'll never get a PC again, the viruses are just horrible. My roommate got a virus just for clicking a link her PROFESSOR sent to a youtube video she had to watch for missing class. Maybe some people have good recommendations for virus protectors though if you are looking to save money. I've never had a virus and I've only had to bring it in once for repair because my WiFi chip needed to be replaced, but that only costs $60 bucks.
No offense to you, but if you get any sort of malware as a pc user or as a Mac user you just don't know what you're doing. I'm 100% unprotected on a computer I built myself and have never had any problems.

So if you really don't know much about computers or how to stay safe Macs are great. I bought a 350 dollar laptop 3 years ago and it's still great.

As far as recommendations make sure you have a ssd instead of a classic hard drive and keep your computer light and any computer you buy will be stupid fast.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had my HP for 6-7 years, updated it with an SSD a few months back and it's still working great. *knock on wood* Highly recommend HP and definitely get an SSD.

I've had my HP for 6-7 years, updated it with an SSD a few months back and it's still working great. *knock on wood* Highly recommend HP and definitely get an SSD.
Yep. Solid states are amazing

Honestly I'm think I'm the only person on earth who hates their MacBook and will be soon selling it to go back to PC. Ever since I got mine has been nothing but problems. If you want a PC get the Dell XPS 15, it's what I'll be getting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly I'm think I'm the only person on earth who hates their MacBook and will be soon selling it to go back to PC. Ever since I got mine has been nothing but problems. If you want a PC get the Dell XPS 15, it's what I'll be getting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What do you hate about it?

Anyone try the Dell XPS 13? Can Chromebooks edit PDFs now?