random neurocognitive question - deja vu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyeLove

Forensic Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Was wondering if you all had seen this phenomenon before, where a patient (likely suspected dementia-related syndrome) reports beliefs of deja vu (i.e., "Those people were here the last time we came to this store," or "These two teams on TV played already and the plays they're running are exactly the same as last time" or something along those lines). We don't get too many neurocognitive-related patients on our unit, but recently had an influx of folks getting charged for things and sent for competency restoration, even though no amount of restoration will ameliorate what they've got since it's unremediable. This deja vu thing was new to me though and we've had 3-4 patients recently reporting similar things in this vein.
As always, all thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
Was wondering if you all had seen this phenomenon before, where a patient (likely suspected dementia-related syndrome) reports beliefs of deja vu (i.e., "Those people were here the last time we came to this store," or "These two teams on TV played already and the plays they're running are exactly the same as last time" or something along those lines). We don't get too many neurocognitive-related patients on our unit, but recently had an influx of folks getting charged for things and sent for competency restoration, even though no amount of restoration will ameliorate what they've got since it's unremediable. This deja vu thing was new to me though and we've had 3-4 patients recently reporting similar things in this vein.
As always, all thoughts appreciated.

It's not that unusual in dementia, called recollective confabulation in some instances. Other then that, if it's particularly strong, always an outside chance at simple partial seizures in the temporal lobe.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually right hemisphere ventral stream lesion.

*which is fancy talk for “not good”

Reactions: 1 users