random question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, if an anesthesiologist is trained during their residency to fix every possible problem that could arise when a patient is under anesthesia, and they go into private practice doing "bread and butter" cases all their life, what happens if 20 years down the line, somebody has some obscure and random problem that the physician was taught how to fix 20 years ago, but hasn't run into it since? Isn't it natural to forget things that you don't deal with every day, and what do physicians do in that situation? Is your knowledge base broad enough/overlaps well enough that you can figure out a creative and quick fix on your own, or are you screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's called being a doctor. Every physician of every specialty will run into unusual problems that he is not used to. you either know it or if you don't, you look it up get to know it. If it is something you don't feel comfortable with, there are lots of people standing in line waiting to do it who may have expertise in it.

whatever "IT" is.

The situation you described is why a couple of attendings have told me that in their opinion it is not a good idea to go to work for a day surgery center right out of residency. Without sharpening and utilizing your skills learned during residency, you may lose those skills. Obviously, you can always 'relearn' things that have become rusty, but it is better to use a variety of skills on a daily basis.

On the other hand, the above poster is also right. It's just like the things we learned in the first couple years of med school. There is no way I could do well on one of my anatomy tests today, but it would only take a little freshening up to be back up to speed.