SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

random study tip

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by soxbox, Mar 3, 2007.

1. soxbox

soxbox CSU PVM Class of '11 2+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Colorado
    well i figured this would be a great place to pass on a little study tip I have just discovered.... since I slacked for 5 years since graduating with my masters instead of being smart and taking one prereq every semester instead of cramming all 4 (orgo 1,2, biochem, genetics) into one year while working fulltime and part time on the weekends, time to study is like gold to me.... So everytime I shower I actually debate it if I have an exam coming up.... thats a whole 20-30 precious study minutes wasted in a shower... not anymore :) I now make a double-sided study sheet, place it into a ziplock bag and then just get the bag and the shower wall wet, and like magic, it sticks and I can continue studying my synthetic reactions while in the shower waiting for my condition to work :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. shine_bluesky

shine_bluesky 2+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    HAHA!!
    i love it!
    That's fantastic, i will remember that in may for my A levels!

Katie

4. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student 5+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Rocky Mountain High
    omg - and i thought running on the treadmill with the o chem book on the control panel was an accomplishment! i'll have to start trying that one!

:laugh:

5. CookieBear

CookieBear 5+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    East Coast
    Yeah, because I've found that putting your notes under your pillow at night is just not enough. :eek:

I'll have to try the shower thing. :D

6. RemyRipper315

RemyRipper315 UPenn Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2006
    studying to the extreme!! hehe.. that's awesome. that would make me realllly sad to study in the shower because its more of a relaxing time to me, but if it works for you, then great!! :)

Cookiebear... i wish i could learn by sleeping on my notes!!!!!! :) that would make things so much easier!

7. shine_bluesky

shine_bluesky 2+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Particularly for the times i work too late and fall asleep with my head on the desk.... which just happens to be covered in notes!!

8. jomiel

jomiel

Jan 6, 2007
    When trying to memorize a complex process, it helps to try to draw out the steps from memory.

It's nice to carry around a little piece of paper or a small notebook with things you have to memorize on it, and you can read it when you have a few spare moments. Fantastic for studying GRE vocab, since little bits of memorization is better than trying to remember 20 words in one study period.

9. youthman

youthman Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Repetition is good in writing and reading, but also very good in hearing. Use a digital recorder to record your lectures. Many of the new ones are a lot like little mp3 players, so while everyone else is listening to music on their ipods you are going over lectures. Sometimes during exams it's the stuff you remember from listening and not reading that saves your butt.

10. InfiniVet

InfiniVet 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    College Station, Texas
    I actually use my iPod to record lectures, then go over my lecture notes and fill in any gaps, etc. Its also useful for when you're super sleepy in class, or if you just dont follow what the teacher is saying. You can also sync your iPod with your computer, unlike regular voice recorders.

Another study tip: with a complex process, explain it aloud to yourself. Getting the info from your brain to your mouth really bridges the gap of understanding the material.

11. soxbox

soxbox CSU PVM Class of '11 2+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Colorado

How do you use your Ipod to record lectures? I had no idea that was even a possibility!!!

12. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Or even better, to your roommate or your mom or the barista at the coffee shop, or anyone else you can find who knows nothing about the subject and is willing to listen. If you can teach it, you've learned it...

13. silverelf

silverelf Tufts Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    MA
    you can buy an attachment called iRecord (i believe) its like 30 bucks and plugs into the top of the ipod and records sound

14. youthman

youthman Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2005
    thats neat, I didn't know there was such a thing. I don't have an ipod but if I did that would be my choice since my laptop is a mac. My recorder also syncs with my computer but that would be sweet to sync with itunes.

oh yeah I totally hear you on the falling asleep during class thing. the recorder is like my safety net.

15. VelcroSky

VelcroSky U of MN Class of 2012 5+ Year Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Anybody here old enough to remember the Facts of Life episode from the future where they had books on pills? Can you imagine reading an entire anatomy book just by popping a pill? Talk about time savers. Anyway, as far as I know they still haven't invented such a novelty.

16. RosieMoll3

RosieMoll3 2+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Fort Collins, CO
    Kids at my school referred to that as Adderall;)

17. InfiniVet

InfiniVet 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    College Station, Texas
    Yes, having it sync with my itunes on my mac is uber sweet. Its an irecorder, its inexpensive, sturdy (mine has lasted a year so far while living at the bottom of my bookbag!), and convenient. http://www.macworld.com/2004/08/reviews/ipodvoicerecorders/

18. ckitten

ckitten 2+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2007
    doesn't have to be an ipod even--I've got a little muvo mp3/usb drive that I used all last semester to tape a class i couldn't actually attend, listened to it on sundays while cleaning my clinic, and synced to my pc as well. it was great! (and small though it is I still had room for a couple of my fav cd's.)