Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Scholls brands I hear are really good

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any recommendations for comfortable shoes to walk/stand around in all day? I've been running around the vet clinic for hours and hours on end every day, and my tennis shoes just aren't cutting it anymore. My feet are absolutely killing me, and now my back is starting to ache as well. Any suggestions for comfortable shoes are welcome!
I have a really tough time with my back and the only shoes that make it tolerable to be on my feet all day are Danskos. They are expensive, but they hold up really well. However if you are prone to rolling ankles be really careful about walking on anything other than flat surfaces. I've eaten it a few times in them walking on sidewalks. Sprained my foot really nicely the last time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a really tough time with my back and the only shoes that make it tolerable to be on my feet all day are Danskos. They are expensive, but they hold up really well. However if you are prone to rolling ankles be really careful about walking on anything other than flat surfaces. I've eaten it a few times in them walking on sidewalks. Sprained my foot really nicely the last time.

Note to self: don't buy Danskos. I will die.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any recommendations for comfortable shoes to walk/stand around in all day? I've been running around the vet clinic for hours and hours on end every day, and my tennis shoes just aren't cutting it anymore. My feet are absolutely killing me, and now my back is starting to ache as well. Any suggestions for comfortable shoes are welcome!
Have you every tried Dansko clogs? They have a lot of support. A lot of doctors, nurses, and people that are on their feet all day wear. They are kind of pricy, but totally worth it. When I shadow at a clinic this summer, that's what I wore. One of the vets and two of the vet techs wore them, too. The one advice I would give you if you do go look at them, try them on. No two are alike. Even if you were one size in one pair, the next pair in the same size may fit differently.

Oops, didn't see the other post about the danskos, but they are a pretty great shoe.

I had the same problem.....so I went and stood on the Dr. Scholl's analyzer machine thing and bought the in-soles that it recommended and it's 309458304x better. Def recommend!

I must be the only person ever to hate danskos? They kill my feet.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! :D

I just got back from my lunch break with a pair of Merrell's (fit me quite a bit better than the Danskos), and I LOVE them already. My back and feet were tremendously sore and I can already feel the relief and support. Thanks again! :)

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! :D

I just got back from my lunch break with a pair of Merrell's (fit me quite a bit better than the Danskos), and I LOVE them already. My back and feet were tremendously sore and I can already feel the relief and support. Thanks again! :)
I love them so much. They are my go to shoes and I have pretty crappy joints

Members don't see this ad :)

Seconding this. I have pretty good ankle strength and stability from hockey and I definitely roll my ankles in my Danskos once every couple of months when I'm not paying attention.

Seconding this. I have pretty good ankle strength and stability from hockey and I definitely roll my ankles in my Danskos once every couple of months when I'm not paying attention.

I have mastered the "nope that didn't just happen I'm just walking here" look... Haha. But I have never hurt myself or actually tripped and fell. Just a good awkward stumble followed by pretending it didn't happen.

And it mostly happens outside where I step on a rock or a nut just right. The school hallways seem relatively safe.

I just got a random message from I know not whom on "datemyschool.com".

I am wondering
1) how did i get into that database.
2) Who is so desperate as to send random requests to married guys in their school?

I am almost tempted to sign in and find out more.

I am wondering
2) Who is so desperate as to send random requests to married guys in their school?

Oh please do, and report back.

I am wondering

I've gotten that before. I'm not sure if it's really a targeting thing or if you're just sent that because you attended such and such school.

I have mastered the "nope that didn't just happen I'm just walking here" look... Haha. But I have never hurt myself or actually tripped and fell. Just a good awkward stumble followed by pretending it didn't happen.

And it mostly happens outside where I step on a rock or a nut just right. The school hallways seem relatively safe.
I roll my ankles on them even if I'm standing still on flat ground... I think I might be getting like arthritic from constant ankle injury now. I bear weight apparently only on the lateral aspects of my feet so my danskos are now at a 40 degree incline from uneven wear, which contributes to the ankle rolling. I really want to just buy another pair... Because I've tried like everything and my danskos are the only things I can stand in all day and not have my feet hurt. But I dunno if it's a wise idea. At least I can sit while I do paperwork now, so maybe I'll be ok without danskos.

I roll my ankles on them even if I'm standing still on flat ground... I think I might be getting like arthritic from constant ankle injury now. I bear weight apparently only on the lateral aspects of my feet so my danskos are now at a 40 degree incline from uneven wear, which contributes to the ankle rolling. I really want to just buy another pair... Because I've tried like everything and my danskos are the only things I can stand in all day and not have my feet hurt. But I dunno if it's a wise idea. At least I can sit while I do paperwork now, so maybe I'll be ok without danskos.

Have you tried Merrells? I swear by mine when it comes to standing all day.

I managed to roll my ankle while wearing cowboy boots this morning. needless to say, my danskos were worn <3x before being retired to the back of the closet.

Yeah... Tried a bunch. My problem is that I have suuuper wide feet that are super short with pretty high arches. That combo doesn't do well even with brands that sell wide shoes. They're like size 4 in length, but like size 7 in width, and the height of my feet due to the arches is prob a size 7. And for some reason all the ones I've tried just don't fit right even if they seem like they would be comfortable for people with normal shaped feet. I literally need a box shaped shoe that doesn't require the heels to fit snugly. That like leaves danskos and crocs... And crocs don't really fit the bill. Otherwise I live in flip flops in all but the coldest of weathers because flip flops don't discriminate against ugly feet.

I've gotten that before. I'm not sure if it's really a targeting thing or if you're just sent that because you attended such and such school.
how boring. ....not to mention ego-deflating.

but it seemed like it came from a particular person. I would hate to be the person that everyone in the school is tagged as desperately seeking a date.

Have you tried Merrells? I swear by mine when it comes to standing all day.

I managed to roll my ankle while wearing cowboy boots this morning. needless to say, my danskos were worn <3x before being retired to the back of the closet.

If you wear a size 37 or 38, I can provide a loving home for those. :p

I can't imagine rolling an ankle in cowboy boots... hm. Talent?

That moment when you are changing clothes in your parked car and the person in the car parked next to you shows up with 3 kids who all get in the car and just sit there o_O ... They caught me changing shirts.. But now I need to change shorts haha.. Hopefully they leave soon- luckily I'm early for my appt!

That moment when you are changing clothes in your parked car and the person in the car parked next to you shows up with 3 kids who all get in the car and just sit there o_O ... They caught me changing shirts.. But now I need to change shorts haha.. Hopefully they leave soon- luckily I'm early for my appt!

Ah yes, the old "getting caught changing in the car" routine. That used to happen to me sometimes during undergrad. I worked part time at a dairy in the mornings and would have to change in the school parking lot. Eventually I found some tank tops that I could put on from the bottom up so i didn't have to peel my shirt right off before having another one on. Luckily I never had any kiddie creepers though :p

Watching Mulan, and I always get unreasonably angry when Mulan places the doll at General Shan's memorial. IT'S A TRAITOR DOLL. IT GAVE AWAY THE IMPERIAL ARMY.

I am doing some reading about how the use of diclofenac in cattle killed off all the vultures in India and how this has caused problems for the Zoroastrians who rely on vultures to consume the bodies of their dead, and I have to say, I think there's something sort of poetic about the idea of your corpse providing food for vultures and other scavengers... in a Lion King Circle of Life kind of way. I mean, what the heck else is it good for? It's certainly more environmentally friendly than the other options.

Taking all these classes in the summer may be making me slowly lose my mind...

But, I do love vultures. They're my second favorite group of birds after pigeons.

I may or may not still have a second edition Charizard hologram card in my room ;). How else am I supposed to pay for my vet school tuition?

Reactions: 2 users
New experience for the week: we were working with small scale dairy farmers in a remote mountain Indonesian village this week and the other day we had a case of dystocia. After the calf was delivered successfully, we carried on with working...then for dinner, they put a cheese-ish like block of stuff in front of us. When a calf is born, they take half the colostrum, cook and fry it, and eat it!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1403330718.890493.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1403330728.955430.jpg

Last edited: