Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mouse urine (especially male mouse urine) stinks to high heaven. Other than that though, the pet mice I've had were all extremely friendly and entertaining. That being said, I haven't had a pet mouse since college and after comparing parasites from pet mice to lab mice I shudder at the idea of ever getting a pet mouse from a pet store again. Seriously, so many worms.

Love me some rats though, if I wasn't planning on going into lab animal I'd have some right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I love when my rabbit does the bunny flop! He either flops or sprawls his back legs out like this! Such a sweet boy! His name is Carbon.

Discussing buying "my" mare with my coach today, she told me that all my girl's tack, blankets, equipment, etc is going with her, so I shouldn't need to buy anything. I reminded her that needing to buy stuff and wanting to buy stuff are two different things. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently there were two zebras roaming around West Philly today. I'm a little sad I was out towards KOP and missed all the excitement.

Reactions: 2 users
top-hat-snake.jpg
Omg gimme

I can't decide if my next pet will be a snake, ferret, or bun. Not that I'm planning on getting any of the above right now. Maybe in a couple years.

Omg gimme

I can't decide if my next pet will be a snake, ferret, or bun. Not that I'm planning on getting any of the above right now. Maybe in a couple years.

I LOVE my snake and I think they are awesome pets. I really missed taking care of them after working at a zoo, so I got him and I am so happy I did. But they aren't all lovey and cuddly like mammals can be. I really wanted a bunny for a long time, until I petsat for a friend with one.. They just make so much mess I wouldn't have time to pick up after them! But I do love them! And I friken love ferrets. They are so cute! But they are stinky. Lol. I made little bat wings and a bat ear "head band" made with one of those braces rubber bands for my snake last year for halloween. It was so cute. I'll have to sift through all my pics and post it!

Update on my mousey friend. I was showing my SO, and he was holding the mouse (and kinda warming up to the idea of getting it). Until the mouse did a suicide jump out of his hands and ran into a hole in the exposed dry wall at the wildlife center. I was so sad. But I guess that answers that question :unsure::dead:

Omg gimme

Wait long enough and one day you can purchase some terrifying Chimera-like creature that's part ferret, snake, and rabbit. They can market it as the "a little something for everyone" pet. It would probably self-cannibalize though.

Now I'm reminded of this doodle I made in undergrad: A Snabbit

71e03896-5c96-425d-89be-1d6f6872d43a_zpsi6feggff.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Wait long enough and one day you can purchase some terrifying Chimera-like creature that's part ferret, snake, and rabbit. They can market it as the "a little something for everyone" pet. It would probably self-cannibalize though.
tumblr_mcbpyr1zjj1riiw1do1_250.gif

My nutritional biology professor absolutely loves the enzyme Methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR). No idea why, but he raved about it a lot this semester, said it should be the department mascot, among other things. He's a cool guy and I joke with him a lot, so naturally, I'm designing a shirt that the class is going to pitch in on.

Here's the idea:

Yippee2.jpg

That's the actual ribbon diagram of the enzyme.

Reactions: 11 users
My nutritional biology professor absolutely loves the enzyme Methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR). No idea why, but he raved about it a lot this semester, said it should be the department mascot, among other things. He's a cool guy and I joke with him a lot, so naturally, I'm designing a shirt that the class is going to pitch in on.

Here's the idea:

View attachment 197900

That's the actual ribbon diagram of the enzyme.
I would buy that

Members don't see this ad :)
My bun sleeps like this! Or full out on his side or with his legs in the air. Sometimes I have to poke him to make sure...

The dog I had growing up would do this. Full on like how the wolves died in Tomb Raider 1 back in the day. It would scare the crap out of me as a small child cause I thought he was dead every time. There were points I was not the most intelligent child in the world.

On rotations, we've been practicing asculting the heart and lungs. I've been getting more and more frustrated with it..trying to isolate the heart and not hear other noises, trying to hear the lung sounds in the perfect spots, whatever. Today, our cardiologist said he wasn't comfortable auscultating the heart until he was like 2 years out into practice.

Just wondering how you current DVMs feel about that? What skills were you uncomfortable with during school (besides surgery I guess), and when did you start to feel more confident?

Also, just because I'm curious now...has anyone dealt with a grade 6 murmur?

On rotations, we've been practicing asculting the heart and lungs. I've been getting more and more frustrated with it..trying to isolate the heart and not hear other noises, trying to hear the lung sounds in the perfect spots, whatever. Today, our cardiologist said he wasn't comfortable auscultating the heart until he was like 2 years out into practice.

Just wondering how you current DVMs feel about that? What skills were you uncomfortable with during school (besides surgery I guess), and when did you start to feel more confident?

On my very first rotation, I had a patient with a grade IV/VI heart murmur... I listened to that dog every damn day, multiple times a day... I finally heard it on the third day right before the dog went home. To me, they sound a bit like breath sounds. It definitely takes practice and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes someone a good year to two to be comfortable with really hearing everything.

I have definitely seen dogs before with heart murmurs that you can fell through the chest... it is very impressive.

On my very first rotation, I had a patient with a grade IV/VI heart murmur... I listened to that dog every damn day, multiple times a day... I finally heard it on the third day right before the dog went home. To me, they sound a bit like breath sounds. It definitely takes practice and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes someone a good year to two to be comfortable with really hearing everything.

I have definitely seen dogs before with heart murmurs that you can fell through the chest... it is very impressive.
I've only heard maybe a grade 3 so far. I'd love to hear a VI, apparently you can hear that if the room is quiet and the stethoscope is a few inches away from the dog. How would you even fix that?

I've only heard maybe a grade 3 so far. I'd love to hear a VI, apparently you can hear that if the room is quiet and the stethoscope is a few inches away from the dog. How would you even fix that?

Well, it kind of depends on what is causing it. The other part of that is that murmur intensity doesn't correlate to "badness". A grade VI murmur can easily be less "bad" than a grade III murmur.

Well, it kind of depends on what is causing it. The other part of that is that murmur intensity doesn't correlate to "badness". A grade VI murmur can easily be less "bad" than a grade III murmur.
Ah I see. Another frustrating part about having rotations as a first year is that I keep hearing "You'll learn about this later" or "I don't want to confuse you by explaining it to you now, it's a little in depth for a first year." I keep seeing all of these awesome cases, but can't really get much in the way of explanations if I have questions.

Ah I see. Another frustrating part about having rotations as a first year is that I keep hearing "You'll learn about this later" or "I don't want to confuse you by explaining it to you now, it's a little in depth for a first year." I keep seeing all of these awesome cases, but can't really get much in the way of explanations if I have questions.

Yeah, I am not sure how much rotations first year really "help" when you don't have much in the way of context for things. If anything, at least you won't be lost for the first month in clinics final year? Maybe? I spent a good month just finding my way around the hospital fourth year... :laugh:

My cardiology rotation was super helpful for ausculting murmurs. Definitely had a couple VI/VIs that were very impressive. With that said, I'm waaay more comfortable with basic surgery than hearts. :p

Last edited:
Yeah, I am not sure how much rotations first year really "help" when you don't have much in the way of context for things. If anything, at least you won't be lost for the first month in clinics final year? Maybe? I spent a good month just finding my way around the hospital fourth year... :laugh:
Actually, that is one of the reasons these rotations exist, apparently. I think a lot of clinicians were getting fed up with 3rd years not knowing where some important places were (like the path lab, other services, whatever). This particular curriculum is really new though...our fourth years were the first class to have these early rotations. There are a lot of kinks still, such as 1st years having this look quite often: :shrug:. Plus, with 130 students and like 7 required rotations, some of our rotations are huuuuuge. I had 8 other first years with me on our ER rotation (in addition to 3 4th years), and there were 16 total when I was on farms. The Illinois VTH is old enough that it wasn't built to contain this many students. You can't learn too much via observation if you can't see anything...

Actually, that is one of the reasons these rotations exist, apparently. I think a lot of clinicians were getting fed up with 3rd years not knowing where some important places were (like the path lab, other services, whatever). This particular curriculum is really new though...our fourth years were the first class to have these early rotations. There are a lot of kinks still, such as 1st years having this look quite often: :shrug:. Plus, with 130 students and like 7 required rotations, some of our rotations are huuuuuge. I had 8 other first years with me on our ER rotation (in addition to 3 4th years), and there were 16 total when I was on farms. The Illinois VTH is old enough that it wasn't built to contain this many students. You can't learn too much via observation if you can't see anything...

Yeah, that is a bit too much. Nice to have the extra hands if it gets busy, but definitely way too much if slow or normal volume.

I don't think first years having confused looks is a "kink". It honestly doesn't surprise me at all... you have zero context for things. Except maybe what muscles attach to that broken bone. ;)

Murmurs are one of those things I don't write down on my PE form until I've confirmed it with the clinician. Somehow , it seems to be something I do okay at. I've picked up on II (think a I once...not sure how that happened...it just sounded slightly odd) up to a V-VI/VI. Not always the best at picking the exact location. I can narrow it down to side or parasternal and such like that. I happen to second myself a lot with them cause I've had a few experiences where I'm like 98% sure I hear one, then clinician says they don't, but then someone else hears it too. And then there are the random Afib dogs that like to join the mix. At least I stopped the one from being used as a stud dog.

I really suck at deciding if LNs are enlarged unless it's obvious.

Don't worry. I still have that expression a good number of the time. Especially out at NBC.

not sure why you think it's a bad thing. if you're confused, it encourages you to research things for yourself and you're more likely to retain it
I do that as well, and then if I ask for any further explanation, I get those responses. It really depends on the clinician, though. Some are great, some don't even really talk to you. Sometimes I wonder if I'm talking too much, but I've been pulled aside on every single large-group rotation so far and complimented/thanked for participating in rounds, discussions, etc. as a first year. I think part of it is that a clinician, resident, whoever doesn't really want to spend the time to explain stuff to a first year when they're supposed to be training fourth years I guess.

when you're on the clinic floor, start reading PEs and problem lists for "murmur" and listen to those pets that have one for experience. i try to always point out to students/externs so that they can listen if they'd like. its probably mostly a practice thing. start by listening period, and as you get comfortable finding the places you are supposed to on the chest, start trying to isolate out the correct sounds. murmurs are hard!

on a murmur related note, i found a very subtle murmur in a dog today that my senior didnt believe was present. it hadn't been documented before in the pets record, but i was convinced i heard a soft, focal murmur (i.e. a 1/6) and he listened and wasnt convinced. we asked cardio for a tie breaker and cardio said very soft and subtle but present. i was SO excited that i identified something so subtle, because its definitely a challenge!!

when you're on the clinic floor, start reading PEs and problem lists for "murmur" and listen to those pets that have one for experience. i try to always point out to students/externs so that they can listen if they'd like. its probably mostly a practice thing. start by listening period, and as you get comfortable finding the places you are supposed to on the chest, start trying to isolate out the correct sounds. murmurs are hard!

on a murmur related note, i found a very subtle murmur in a dog today that my senior didnt believe was present. it hadn't been documented before in the pets record, but i was convinced i heard a soft, focal murmur (i.e. a 1/6) and he listened and wasnt convinced. we asked cardio for a tie breaker and cardio said very soft and subtle but present. i was SO excited that i identified something so subtle, because its definitely a challenge!!
:highfive:

Our cardiologist also said it takes a looong time to get the pressure of your stethoscope down, too. Press too hard and you're hearing the ocean, press too lightly and you're hearing fur.

Also, as I was typing this, my trouble-maker cat just ninja-climbed up my bookshelf and stole the rabbit treats...:yeahright:

By a couple months out, I felt comfortable identifying the existence of murmurs, gallops, a-fib, crackles, and wheezes (as in my call was consistent with multiple other doctors). I won't ever have a cardiologist's precision in characterizing that murmur, but honestly I don't care to either. In practice, it doesn't matter to me exactly how loud or exact location. If I hear a clear ejection quality murmur, I might be a little more alarmed. Still doesn't do much for me in matters of practicality. For something like probable endocardiosis I do keep tabs on how loud they are as it tends to get louder and louder as they progress. Only ones I specifically look for location wise are high axillary region in young pets for potential PDAs (have only heard one of those out of school, but it's not one I want to miss). Otherwise all that matters to me is that it's there or not. Either the owners go for cardio referral or they don't. If they don't, I have them sign a waiver and I use heart friendly drugs for sedation/anesthesia, and possibly advise against elective procedures. If in CHF and they don't go for referral, it still doesn't matter to me what kind of murmur it is. It doesn't really change what I do.

It's amazing how well some of these heart failure dogs do on empiric therapies and going up on dose based on physical exam and auscultations for crackles only. I have one patient who went into acute CHF way back in March, never saw a cardiologist. I'm maxed out on lasix, pimo, enalapril, and getting there on spironoloactone. All med increases just based on PE. I don't think I would ever do anything differently based on other characteristics of a murmur. Dog has been doing clinically so well that the owners think it's a scam I keep telling them to spend so much on meds and rechecks. I don't know how many times I've told the owners we will never go down on meds. He never believes me, but he can't get himself to risk killing his dog by taking her off meds so he begrudgingly complies. Every month or two, I start hearing lung congestion again, and it's not enough. We go up on meds, and the dog does fine and the owner complains. I'm shocked that the dog is still alive.

I never got ophtho all that well during school. Still not so great at it. Early on, I was stubborn with the eye cases that just weren't getting better in the timeframe it should have, and realized in hindsight things would have gone much better had I referred earlier. So I refer many ophtho cases after my first recheck if the results aren't sparkling, or if things regress at subsequent rechecks. I hate check eye appointments.

I also left fairly uncomfortable with ortho. Still not my favorite. Thank goodness we have lots of surgeons in the area, and for rad consults. Cruciates are easy to diagnose, and it comes down to medical management or referral. But the vague lameness that doesn't respond to doxycycline and NSAIDs are awful. I hate those so much. Especially forelimb lamenesses. It does make me feel better when the orthopod then can't figure it out either, but I have neither the confidence or skills to shrug and go, meh without the referral.

Dentistry has a very steep learning curve. Just because you have the pet under anesthesia, and you need to be able to diagnose and treat all the pathology right then and there. It took a year and a half of living and breathing dentistry even when off work, and being persistent about providing the best care I could possibly provide for each patient along the way and not making any excuses to do otherwise, but I'm now pretty confident in it. I think I'm able to provide very high quality dentistry, and at this point I can really stand behind my work and i wouldn't be ashamed if a dentist sees a case I've worked on.

No one will ever be perfect at everything. I have doctors at my practice who have been out 10-25 years, and they still have the same weaknesses they never grew out of. It's fine as long as you find a way to provide adequate care by getting better yourself, complementing your strengths/weaknesses with other doctors in your practice, or referring.

Reactions: 3 users
By a couple months out, I felt comfortable identifying the existence of murmurs, gallops, a-fib, crackles, and wheezes (as in my call was consistent with multiple other doctors). I won't ever have a cardiologist's precision in characterizing that murmur, but honestly I don't care to either. In practice, it doesn't matter to me exactly how loud or exact location. If I hear a clear ejection quality murmur, I might be a little more alarmed. Still doesn't do much for me in matters of practicality. For something like probable endocardiosis I do keep tabs on how loud they are as it tends to get louder and louder as they progress. Only ones I specifically look for location wise are high axillary region in young pets for potential PDAs (have only heard one of those out of school, but it's not one I want to miss). Otherwise all that matters to me is that it's there or not. Either the owners go for cardio referral or they don't. If they don't, I have them sign a waiver and I use heart friendly drugs for sedation/anesthesia, and possibly advise against elective procedures. If in CHF and they don't go for referral, it still doesn't matter to me what kind of murmur it is. It doesn't really change what I do.

It's amazing how well some of these heart failure dogs do on empiric therapies and going up on dose based on physical exam and auscultations for crackles only. I have one patient who went into acute CHF way back in March, never saw a cardiologist. I'm maxed out on lasix, pimo, enalapril, and getting there on spironoloactone. All med increases just based on PE. I don't think I would ever do anything differently based on other characteristics of a murmur. Dog has been doing clinically so well that the owners think it's a scam I keep telling them to spend so much on meds and rechecks. I don't know how many times I've told the owners we will never go down on meds. He never believes me, but he can't get himself to risk killing his dog by taking her off meds so he begrudgingly complies. Every month or two, I start hearing lung congestion again, and it's not enough. We go up on meds, and the dog does fine and the owner complains. I'm shocked that the dog is still alive.

I never got ophtho all that well during school. Still not so great at it. Early on, I was stubborn with the eye cases that just weren't getting better in the timeframe it should have, and realized in hindsight things would have gone much better had I referred earlier. So I refer many ophtho cases after my first recheck if the results aren't sparkling, or if things regress at subsequent rechecks. I hate check eye appointments.

I also left fairly uncomfortable with ortho. Still not my favorite. Thank goodness we have lots of surgeons in the area, and for rad consults. Cruciates are easy to diagnose, and it comes down to medical management or referral. But the vague lameness that doesn't respond to doxycycline and NSAIDs are awful. I hate those so much. Especially forelimb lamenesses. It does make me feel better when the orthopod then can't figure it out either, but I have neither the confidence or skills to shrug and go, meh without the referral.

Dentistry has a very steep learning curve. Just because you have the pet under anesthesia, and you need to be able to diagnose and treat all the pathology right then and there. It took a year and a half of living and breathing dentistry even when off work, and being persistent about providing the best care I could possibly provide for each patient along the way and not making any excuses to do otherwise, but I'm now pretty confident in it. I think I'm able to provide very high quality dentistry, and at this point I can really stand behind my work and i wouldn't be ashamed if a dentist sees a case I've worked on.

No one will ever be perfect at everything. I have doctors at my practice who have been out 10-25 years, and they still have the same weaknesses they never grew out of. It's fine as long as you find a way to provide adequate care by getting better yourself, complementing your strengths/weaknesses with other doctors in your practice, or referring.
Thanks! This was a good read. Sometimes I forget that, even though we are practice ready at graduation, there's still so much learning to do on the job. I feel like I already have a hard time with ortho...is the CCL torn or just more lax in this dog than the last? How much variation is there in laxity of anything? I do like rehab medicine for post-ortho dogs, though. Seeing a dachshund in a water treadmill :love:

What is it about cooking that makes me not hungry? I used to think it was because I sampled bits as I was cooking, but tonight I didn't sample anything, yet as soon as I finished, I was no longer hungry. I ate a few bites and now I feel stuffed. I've heard other people say they've experienced the same thing, but it still doesn't make sense.

What is it about cooking that makes me not hungry? I used to think it was because I sampled bits as I was cooking, but tonight I didn't sample anything, yet as soon as I finished, I was no longer hungry. I ate a few bites and now I feel stuffed. I've heard other people say they've experienced the same thing, but it still doesn't make sense.
I have the same issue! Made a super yummy crockpot meal yesterday and didn't even touch it until today.

I have the same issue! Made a super yummy crockpot meal yesterday and didn't even touch it until today.

Never happens to me. I usually end up eating more than I intended to.

Why I'm not fat, I have no idea xD

David Tennant as the villain is so awesome. He'll always be the Tenth Doctor to me, but I really love seeing him have an evil side! If you haven't watched Jessica Jones yet, and you've had an inkling to--I definitely recommend it!

Reactions: 1 users
David Tennant as the villain is so awesome. He'll always be the Tenth Doctor to me, but I really love seeing him have an evil side! If you haven't watched Jessica Jones yet, and you've had an inkling to--I definitely recommend it!
Looking forward to another awesome Marvel Netflix show :D I think I might marathon it Wednesday.

For some reason this picture reminded me of something that happened on the sheep farm I was on during lambing season.

We had been watching this one sheep while she was lambing and debated if it was time to intervene yet or not. We had decided to give her 10 more minutes and then go assist... so after 10 minutes and still only some front feet we went to go help. Well, being that she is a sheep, she spooked and jumped up to run away... that was enough to make the baby lamb go "floop" and come right on out...

We were all, "well, that was easy, work done, just had to scare it out of her."

Reactions: 4 users
Baby rattlesnake sighting at my parents tonight when I got home for Thanksgiving. Thought you guys would appreciate how pretty it was.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1448503810.717003.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Now I'm reminded of this doodle I made in undergrad: A Snabbit

71e03896-5c96-425d-89be-1d6f6872d43a_zpsi6feggff.jpg

I was so distracted when I first looked at this, that I thought it was a normal rabbit. When I turned my attention back to the screen (like 10 minutes later) I was like WHOA it's not a regular rabbit. xD

Same! It's so weird.