Rank all the Massachusetts IM residencies by reputation please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScruffyMouse

Reaction score
I would just like to get input for my rank list creation. Purposely asking only about reputation as the other factors that I am considering are specific to me. Also don't worry, I didn't get interviews to all of these programs but I am keeping it broad for anonymity

Right now the order I have is

MGH
Brigham
BIDMC
BU
Tufts
UMass
Cambridge Health Alliance
Lahey
Baystate
Mt Auburn
St. Elizabeth's
Metrowest
Berkshire
St. Vincents
Carney
Salem

Members don't see this ad.

From a PURELY prestige prospective

MGH = BWH > BIDMC >> BU > Tufts >> UMass >> The rest

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're asking the wrong question. Prestige for what reason?

If you're mainly concerned about fellowships, then look at where grads from these programs went to fellowship. You may find it differs by field.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You're asking the wrong question. Prestige for what reason?

If you're mainly concerned about fellowships, then look at where grads from these programs went to fellowship. You may find it differs by field.
I am concerned that as a USMD without the extensive research that most IMGs have, basing only off fellowship placements will not be a good measure.

I know I will never ever be interested in pursuing GI or Cards but crit care, allergy and heme/onc are on the table.

Based on the number of academic interviews I have, there is a high likelihood that my ranking of community programs will matter.

Could you give me a general sense of the better community programs in MA?

I think any of those programs can give you what you need to be a good physician and potentially get a fellowship in one of the specialties you mentioned. You need to think about where you want to live, what patient population you want to work with, and how hard you want to work. For instance, Baystate is a very busy program with a largely underserved population, and many home programs, in a medium sized city. In contrast, Berkshire Medical Center is a small program, relatively easy, in a rural area serving mostly white patients, and without advanced training options.

I think any of those programs can give you what you need to be a good physician and potentially get a fellowship in one of the specialties you mentioned. You need to think about where you want to live, what patient population you want to work with, and how hard you want to work. For instance, Baystate is a very busy program with a largely underserved population, and many home programs, in a medium sized city. In contrast, Berkshire Medical Center is a small program, relatively easy, in a rural area serving mostly white patients, and without advanced training options.

Oh I always got the impression that Baystate had a relatively lower patient volume. But you are right I value work/life balance a lot. Do you know which residencies in MA besides Berkshire have a lighter patient load?

Oh I always got the impression that Baystate had a relatively lower patient volume. But you are right I value work/life balance a lot. Do you know which residencies in MA besides Berkshire have a lighter patient load?
Now I am very confused. You can either go to a busier program with fellowships that will put you in the best position to get a fellowship spot yourself, or go to a smaller community program that might be "easier" or less hours. Which is more important to you?

• Love
Now I am very confused. You can either go to a busier program with fellowships that will put you in the best position to get a fellowship spot yourself, or go to a smaller community program that might be "easier" or less hours. Which is more important to you?
Ahah I was hoping for a not as busy program with fellowships. There must be academic programs that fit that bill in the Northeast right?

That said, my preference would be

Academic program with low hours > Good community program with low hours > academic program with high hours > mediocre community program with low hours > any community program with high hours

• Hmm
The best way to answer your questions is through your interviews. Talk with the residents. The topics of fellowship vs community practice, patient load, call schedule, elective time, will all be addressed.

In general, you get what you pay for. If you go to a program with less work involved, in general your fellowship options will be less. Allergy is very research focused so going to a program with good allergy infrastructure is key.

In general, you get what you pay for. If you go to a program with less work involved, in general your fellowship options will be less. Allergy is very research focused so going to a program with good allergy infrastructure is key.

Understood. Can you provide any insight on the mid to lower programs on the kist and how they compare? Or are the differences negligible other than fit?

Understood. Can you provide any insight on the mid to lower programs on the kist and how they compare? Or are the differences negligible other than fit?
In terms of fellowships in MA, here are the programs that have each according to FREIDA

Allergy: MGH, BWH, BU
Pulm/crit care: BWH, Tufts, BIDMC, BU, St. E's, Lahey, UMMS, UMMS-Baystate
Heme/Onc: MGH/Dana-Farber, Tufts, BIDMC, BU, St. E's, Lahey, UMMS, UMMS-Baystate

It seems like Baystate might be a reasonable choice, it's relatively less competitive than other programs on this list but the affiliation with UMass could mean decent access to research. Similarly, St. Elizabeth's is one of the Steward hospitals so that's probably considered a community hospital, although they have an affiliation with BU so maybe some potential. Same with Lahey, they recently merged with BIDMC so maybe there's a roundabout connection to some Harvard researchers there. In terms of how long the hours are at these places and what research/resources for fellowship match are available, you'd probably have to talk to current residents.