Rank list 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranklistuser

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help with 2-5 on my list. I am midwest so they are all the same in terms of distance to family besides Little Rock-UAMS.

1. U Cincinnati - Liked everyone. Peds+cardiac fellowship there. Small class 8, hospital not dependent on the residents. Not missing anything case wise. Nice city. -srna school

2. U Iowa - Liked everyone. Great board scores. Not missing any cases. Peds fellowship. Decent hours. - Tiny city.

2. UAMS - Not missing any cases. Good fellowship match. Liked everyone. Peds fellowship but warned by 2 people to stay away. Warm weather, but far from family. -No moonlighting, -night float ~ q6wks.

2. U Louisville - Did not get the best vibe. Gets all cases. 1/9 went to fellowship. Good board scores. Nice city. Other students liked this place, not sure why I didn't

3. Case western,CMC- University hospital - Gets all cases. Friendly. New chair and PD. - longer hours. - boards failures. -Cleveland? -Academic warning last year

Rush, Henry Ford, Geisinger, Toledo, DMC
Also Indiana U but don't have enough prelim interviews to rank them very high.

Members don't see this ad.

I need some help with 2-5 on my list. I am midwest so they are all the same in terms of distance to family besides Little Rock-UAMS.

1. U Cincinnati - Liked everyone. Peds+cardiac fellowship there. Small class 8, hospital not dependent on the residents. Not missing anything case wise. Nice city. -srna school

2. U Iowa - Liked everyone. Great board scores. Not missing any cases. Peds fellowship. Decent hours. - Tiny city.

2. UAMS - Not missing any cases. Good fellowship match. Liked everyone. Peds fellowship but warned by 2 people to stay away. Warm weather, but far from family. -No moonlighting, -night float ~ q6wks.

2. U Louisville - Did not get the best vibe. Gets all cases. 1/9 went to fellowship. Good board scores. Nice city. Other students liked this place, not sure why I didn't

3. Case western,CMC- University hospital - Gets all cases. Friendly. New chair and PD. - longer hours. - boards failures. -Cleveland? -Academic warning last year

I dont know any of these places but i dont know what the advantages are of having a fellowship is to the program. If you want to go to those places for those fellowship, yes it can help you gain an advantage. Otherwise theres really no advantage. What is more important is seeing how many fellows they are, and how they schedule the cases with fellows/residents. If they just barely have enough peds or cardiac cases for those fellows, then residents will get the crap cases or be put with a fellow, which i dont think is as good as going to places w/o fellowship but still have cases.

another thing to consider is their case load vs # of residents per class. Just hypothetically speaking, Case western may get all cases, but does that mean every resident will get those cases? Where as if you go to a smaller program, often times you get assigned educational cases or even give preferences to what type of cases you want. A smaller hospital may have a total of 12 Ca1-3s (4 per class), where a larger program may have 70. The larger hospital ends up doing 70 kidney transplants a year, while smaller ones lets say do 20. In the end you get more kidney transplants at the smaller program. where as in the larger program you may end up doing NONE, and some of colleagues may do 2 or more just purely based on scheduling.

weekday bump. Anyone have comments on Louisville vs UAMS ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

At least one of the programs you listed last is categorical. Why did you mention not having enough prelims?

weekday bump. Anyone have comments on Louisville vs UAMS ?

I interviewed at Louisville a few years back. I think this program is for a specific type of applicant. At the time everyone was married, they all spoke of 5 things to do: hunting, boating, shooting (i guess separate from hunting), the kentucky derby and drinking bourbon. Being a single male from more or less the inner city, this wasnt the move for me. They also seemed to work a ton, the CA3 we talked to said she worked about 75hrs week on average. I think for the right applicant its a great place.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. Yes all my programs are categorical. Indiana is advance but I don’t have the prelim # to rank them high

1. Philadelphia Eagles

Superbowl bound baby!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at Louisville a few years back. I think this program is for a specific type of applicant. At the time everyone was married, they all spoke of 5 things to do: hunting, boating, shooting (i guess separate from hunting), the kentucky derby and drinking bourbon. Being a single male from more or less the inner city, this wasnt the move for me. They also seemed to work a ton, the CA3 we talked to said she worked about 75hrs week on average. I think for the right applicant its a great place.

A good buddy of mine is a Louisville CA-2. They, by far, work harder than any other program I talked to assuming everyone is (roughly) telling the truth. They didn't hide it though, to their credit. They told me during my interview "If you're looking for a place where you'll get out most days before 5-6pm then rank us low".

Sounds like a great place for people who don't want to have any time to hunt/fish/shoot/boat/drink bourbon/or attend the Derby.

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed at Louisville this year. Agree that u of L residents work longer hours than most programs. I enjoyed the city. Talking to med students that go there, they seem to like city as well. The residents were fun to hang out with during dinner. Good program overall imo. Can't recall the moonlighting situation, anyone know?

I also thought highly of University of Cincinnati fwiw. Can't comment on any other of your 2-5 programs since I didn't interview with them.

Can't recall the moonlighting situation, anyone know?

Long-ass hours disguised as internal moonlighting. A resident told me it's cheaper to keep residents later in the day than CRNA's, so after 6pm(?) some of the residents start getting paid hourly. But not all of them. And you have to volunteer for it, otherwise you're stuck there late anyway just without the extra pay.

Long-ass hours disguised as internal moonlighting. A resident told me it's cheaper to keep residents later in the day than CRNA's, so after 6pm(?) some of the residents start getting paid hourly. But not all of them. And you have to volunteer for it, otherwise you're stuck there late anyway just without the extra pay.
Sounds like the kind of program that should be reviewed by ACGME.

Reactions: 1 user