Rank list change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I assume that the answer to my question is "no" but I figured I'd ask anyways. I know that WE cannot change our lists after the deadline, but can program directors, etc change their rank list at all at this point/post deadline? Say they read a facebook profile, find something out about an applicant, someone calls them about someone, etc etc. Can they change the rank list at all? Like I said above, I assume no, but given the paranoia until March 12, I would like others' opinions on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. No changes from either side.

Fail him? Really? At least he asked to go. The preceptor could have said no. Creating drama two months before graduation is a good way for someone to never take your elective again...

Which is apparently why my radiology-bound med student asked to leave after 1 hour of clinic today to "avoid the traffic". Huh?

I'm surprised he asked to leave...some of my classmates have just been taking off...

Fail him? Really? At least he asked to go. The preceptor could have said no. Creating drama two months before graduation is a good way for someone to never take your elective again...

Yeah I agree. If he straight up didn't show... then sure. But he was honest (well... sort of).

I am constantly appalled by the poor work ethic shown by some med students. Even if you aren't going to pursue the specialty the rotation is in, at least don't be a total jerk and flat out state "I don't care, I don't want to be here, and I want to leave." Why did you even schedule the rotation then? And if it's a required one, you better show up and be there and try to learn something. Not gonna show up, not gonna work or learn anything? Not gonna pass.

I'm not saying you should gush and be an over the top liar, but you should be professional and work hard. I've had plenty of med students who flat out said they were pursuing another specialty other than the rotation they were on, but were still rock stars because of their work ethic.

I am constantly appalled by the poor work ethic shown by some med students. Even if you aren't going to pursue the specialty the rotation is in, at least don't be a total jerk and flat out state "I don't care, I don't want to be here, and I want to leave." Why did you even schedule the rotation then? And if it's a required one, you better show up and be there and try to learn something. Not gonna show up, not gonna work or learn anything? Not gonna pass.

I'm not saying you should gush and be an over the top liar, but you should be professional and work hard. I've had plenty of med students who flat out said they were pursuing another specialty other than the rotation they were on, but were still rock stars because of their work ethic.

While I agree that med students should have good work ethic, I think that the reason some don't is because work ethic ultimately doesn't buy you much unfortunately when it matters. In the end, it's the step scores that most programs really care about. You can be the hardest worker and a rock star on a rotation, but that won't buy you much if you don't have great step scores. Reverse that, and someone with great board scores will still get picked over the "rock star", hard worker 99% of the time. So I think med students have learned this over the years. And since there is such an extraordinary emphasis on step scores, which is emphasized absurdly by PD's, well that's sort of what you get unfortunately.

My experience is the opposite: most med students I know want to work hard and are more than happy to help...but usually get ignored by residents/attendings and aren't given much guidance or support in how to help, especially after they find out that they student isn't going into their own specialty.

My experience is the opposite: most med students I know want to work hard and are more than happy to help...but usually get ignored by residents/attendings and aren't given much guidance or support in how to help, especially after they find out that they student isn't going into their own specialty.

I agree with that.

While usually even if the medical student doesn't show interest in the rotation, they're passed (sometimes even on honors), but you never know someone might actually fill the evaluation form honestly and end up failing the student. Now this would be a red-flag in the residency application (MSPE). Most of the time PDs are carefully reading the Letters and MSPE not to see how outstanding the candidate is, but to quickly scan if there's any such red-flag.

Whether or not there's recognition, I'd still say, work hard on all rotations. You probably don't want a failing evaluation even if the chance is low.

I agree with that.

While usually even if the medical student doesn't show interest in the rotation, they're passed (sometimes even on honors), but you never know someone might actually fill the evaluation form honestly and end up failing the student. Now this would be a red-flag in the residency application (MSPE). Most of the time PDs are carefully reading the Letters and MSPE not to see how outstanding the candidate is, but to quickly scan if there's any such red-flag.

Whether or not there's recognition, I'd still say, work hard on all rotations. You probably don't want a failing evaluation even if the chance is low.

I think the conversation is about 4th year, after rank lists are submitted, when performance doesn't matter as long as you pass. People get senioritis and stop giving a f---.