Rank List Difficulties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bd1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm not the only one in this situation--I can't figure out who I want to put as #1. All 3 in the running are great programs, and I hope I'd be happy at any of them, but just can't seem to make my mind up on which one to pick. Complicating the whole matter is that one of these is my home program. I've gotten good vibes from those folks, and it has been implied that if I want the spot, it's mine.

Part of me wants to leave, part of me doesn't. I can't really decide how I feel about the other cities, either, since they seem like ok places to live, but aren't spectacular like Chicago or anything like that.

Just wondering how all of you are reasoning through this. I've lost plenty of sleep over it already, and there's still 10 more days to go. I almost wish someone else could just pick for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I know I'm not the only one in this situation--I can't figure out who I want to put as #1. All 3 in the running are great programs, and I hope I'd be happy at any of them, but just can't seem to make my mind up on which one to pick. Complicating the whole matter is that one of these is my home program. I've gotten good vibes from those folks, and it has been implied that if I want the spot, it's mine.

Part of me wants to leave, part of me doesn't. I can't really decide how I feel about the other cities, either, since they seem like ok places to live, but aren't spectacular like Chicago or anything like that.

Just wondering how all of you are reasoning through this. I've lost plenty of sleep over it already, and there's still 10 more days to go. I almost wish someone else could just pick for me.

Pretty much every specialty forum has a thread dedicated to this question. Go there and ask. Also...be less vague. the information you get will be more useful that way.

I really don't like Chicago.

But everybody's decision-making process is completely different. Some people choose primarily on location, but for me, geography is only of mild value. Some people choose primarily on reputation. Some people choose entirely based on call schedule. For me, a major concern is the research portfolio in a particular area, and also the availability of a particular fellowship. That narrowed it down to 3 places for me. One of those places became #3 due to smaller research funding and lower reputation in my specialty. So now it's just between two places.

Part of me wants to leave, part of me doesn't.
Explore other places and build your network. This is the best opportunity you have. My home program is not in the top 5 just for that reason.