rank list help - UTSW vs. Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsinfla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any help! I know it is the last minute but I am couples matching and we are having a tough time deciding between USTW and Emory for #1 vs. #2. Any thoughts on Peds at these 2 places??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I was reasonably impressed by UTSW. I can't speak for Emory, since I cancelled my interview there.
Here's some UTSW thoughts from my experience: maybe they'll be of some help.

-Their Chairman is very passoniate about the program; I was impressed that he was involved in intern report and also participated in interviewing applicants.
-Good fellowship placement, but also good private practice placement/career advice
-Great opportunities for "social outreach" type experiences at the amazing network of community clinics in Dallas
-Chance to learn Spanish!
-Beautiful, huge, facilities
-Amazing interview hotel! (I know, I know, this doesn't factor into our decision, but sheesh, it was by far the best of anywhere!!)

Negative things: they are a huge class, it seems like most residents are from the South originally (could be a +/- depending on where you're from), and I'm not particularly keen on Texas. However, I think living in Dallas would be way more fun than living in Atlanta!

Good luck! We're all in this together.

Thanks for the reply! I totally agree with you on all of the pros that UTSW has to offer. I really liked the program. My only concern was that I really didn't meet that many residents during the day so I didn't get a chance to see how the residents interacted with each other, hear any of their thoughts on the program, or get a feel for if they hang out with each other outside of work....etc. Any thoughts on that?

Having interviewed at both of these places, I think you probably can't go wrong with either. I also met the chairman at UTSW and really liked him, plus the program director seemed great. The residents seemed nice as well, though I only met the ones who had lunch with us since I arrive too late to go to the pre-interview dinner. I thought that the hospital facilities were very nice at UTSW, a little better than those at emory. Regarding emory, I really liked the residents that I met there, I think Atlanta is a nicer city than Dallas, and their program director seemed very good as well, quite dedicated toward resident education. I think that the smaller size of Emory's resident class might make it a little easier not to get "lost in the crowd" but I suppose that point is debatable. One negative about UTSW, is that it's very hard to do international electives as a resident there, if that's a priority to you. Otherwise, I guess it doesn't matter. Well, good luck with your decision.