• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

pedsinfla

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would appreciate any help! I know it is the last minute but I am couples matching and we are having a tough time deciding between USTW and Emory for #1 vs. #2. Any thoughts on Peds at these 2 places??

NWgal

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey. I was reasonably impressed by UTSW. I can't speak for Emory, since I cancelled my interview there.
Here's some UTSW thoughts from my experience: maybe they'll be of some help.

-Their Chairman is very passoniate about the program; I was impressed that he was involved in intern report and also participated in interviewing applicants.
-Good fellowship placement, but also good private practice placement/career advice
-Great opportunities for "social outreach" type experiences at the amazing network of community clinics in Dallas
-Chance to learn Spanish!
-Beautiful, huge, facilities
-Amazing interview hotel! (I know, I know, this doesn't factor into our decision, but sheesh, it was by far the best of anywhere!!)

Negative things: they are a huge class, it seems like most residents are from the South originally (could be a +/- depending on where you're from), and I'm not particularly keen on Texas. However, I think living in Dallas would be way more fun than living in Atlanta!

Good luck! We're all in this together.

pedsinfla

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the reply! I totally agree with you on all of the pros that UTSW has to offer. I really liked the program. My only concern was that I really didn't meet that many residents during the day so I didn't get a chance to see how the residents interacted with each other, hear any of their thoughts on the program, or get a feel for if they hang out with each other outside of work....etc. Any thoughts on that?

mrman

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Having interviewed at both of these places, I think you probably can't go wrong with either. I also met the chairman at UTSW and really liked him, plus the program director seemed great. The residents seemed nice as well, though I only met the ones who had lunch with us since I arrive too late to go to the pre-interview dinner. I thought that the hospital facilities were very nice at UTSW, a little better than those at emory. Regarding emory, I really liked the residents that I met there, I think Atlanta is a nicer city than Dallas, and their program director seemed very good as well, quite dedicated toward resident education. I think that the smaller size of Emory's resident class might make it a little easier not to get "lost in the crowd" but I suppose that point is debatable. One negative about UTSW, is that it's very hard to do international electives as a resident there, if that's a priority to you. Otherwise, I guess it doesn't matter. Well, good luck with your decision.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.