1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rank list is due!!

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by medgirl81, Feb 20, 2007.

1. medgirl81

medgirl81 PGY1
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And it's making me quite nervous all of the sudden. I made mine three weeks ago and forgot about it, but now that the deadline is actually tomorrow, I'm beginning to rethink things. I feel like on one hand it might be stupid to change anything last minute (like thirty seconds before the end of the exam where you change your answer from B to D for no good reason and end up getting it wrong). But on the other...

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

I keep trying to picture my face opening different envelopes, but that strategy isn't working well.

2. lloyd braun

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Please don't make any last minute changes unless you have a really strong reason to do so. I have heard stories of people making last minute changes and then regretting it. Trust your list from three weeks ago. Don't let your anxiety muddy your thinking.

3. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dont worry, im doing the same thing. my list has been certified for weeks, but last night i suddenly felt like changing everything. i didnt, but i really wanted to. i wasn't nervous about matching until yesterday either. suddenly everything hit me like a weight, and thoughts of scrambling kept me up half the night! i just can't wait til its all over

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. CariBeaner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Its driving me crazy too- trying to balance the actual program and the location they are in... ARGGG- 2 more hours and its over

5. icebreakers

icebreakers Member
    7+ Year Member

I called a respected friend last night for his thoughts, and I sort of walked out of that conversation ...wanting to completely rearrange the entire order of my list....

fortunately though, I was able to think my way out of a possibly new list, and re-discovered my original reasons for my initial list. I did that three times...:idea:

I wonder if any of us would be free from doubt, if we had 4 more weeks to think about it. probably not.

6. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Program vs. location has been killing me. I almost went in and changed everything in favor of location a few minutes ago, but refrained. Just leaving it as is (from 2 weeks ago) and seeing what happens.

Gonna be exciting on match day because my top 4 are all over the place location-wise, from coast to coast. So, could be moving a couple hour drive or a couple day drive from where I am now.

Hope everyone on here ends up content with their lists by 9 pm... try not to second guess yourself too much (as I sit hear second guessing myself :) )

7. maranatha

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ARRRGGHHHH! Me too!!!!! I freaked out, went in and changed my list at 6:30 and then freaked out again, changed it back to my original list one hour before it closes! :eek: What was I thinking???? :laugh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. CariBeaner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    rank programs I dont love or take my chance with the scramble if I dont get my top 4:confused:

9. Neurotica

Neurotica Emotion Detector
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ah, and here i was thinking i was the only one placing this much emphasis on location...program vs. location became my biggest internal debate

10. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So, what did you go with... program or location?

11. CariBeaner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    #1 program
    #2-3 location
    #4-5 program
    6-10 by overall feeling... I would have loved to have only ranked 1-5 but got scared the last minute. Hope I didnt make a mistake

12. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i went with location ... because none of my programs are "bad" (although some are a bit better than others)

... but i've sacrificed enough of my 20s ... im going out with a bang, dammit.

13. gardilimo

gardilimo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    im right there with you razz...
    too many years, months, MINUTES have been spent on medicine in an area i dont even like...its time to go to an area that excites your soul and wets your appetite for adventure outside of academia! :p

rock on with your bad self! :laugh:

:luck: :luck: :luck: everyone!

14. goldengate

5+ Year Member

For me, not exactly coast to coast, yet my top three are strikingly different as far as location...I suppose I will find out on March 15 what kind of culture I will be living in for the next 4 yrs. This is, of course, assuming I match.

15. DrIng

DrIng Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Can I just point out that a lot of the anxiety comes from not wanting to make the "wrong" decision but in reality you are probably choosing from a number of good options so there isn't really a wrong decision... Hope that helps.

16. maranatha

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    good perspective. Thanks. :)

I ended up with a mix of compromising between my wife's programs, location, and quality of program....Made for an interesting ROL.

17. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

hell yeah!

18. i61164

i61164 Polar Bear, MD
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I always wonderd why hello kitty doesn't have a mouth.

19. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah yeah, very clever. google it- you'd be surprised that people have actually taken the time to come up with theories in regards to your query. people, she's a cartoon. i highly doubt sanrio is an anti feminist company that is trying to make the statement that women have nothing important to say. anyone who knows H.K. knows that, with or without a mouth, she's still a fiesty female.

20. i61164

i61164 Polar Bear, MD
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmmm. I was thinking more along the lines of not being able to eat, but maybe that is the future psychiatrist in me.