Rank list question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifeguard2003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went on my first interview today and was kind of surprised how very little information was ascertained about me during the process. It got me thinking, just how do programs come up with their rank lists. If people aren't asking me many questions during the interview are they basing their decision solely on my eras application. If so, what is the point of the interview process? I know programs are trying to sell themselves to you but is it always going to be so one sided or will more competitive programs ask me more questions?

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the same way after my first interview. I think part of it is that it is the first interview, and the whole thing is genuinely bizarre. see how you feel after your second, I think a reason I felt that way about the first interview was because, while it was a nice program, and I have nothing bad to say about it, it wasn't right for me looking back and comparing to some of the other programs I've been to. I guess, they've been doing this forever, and have a sense generally to figure out who they want pretty quickly based on the half day. Also, as the PD at my last interview said: all of you are qualified to go here, so really, at this point it becomes to some extent, a self-selection process, we have to rely on you to know where you will fit best.

and in my experience, the more competitive programs have asked me questions about myself, or questions i ask lead to questions from the interviewer.

The last interview I went on, I really liked, but none of us really got any face time with the PD, and that made me really uncomfortable, because it will most likely be in my top 3. on the other hand, another one of my favorites the PD interviews EVERYONE, and i think most walk away feeling like they got good face time and PD likes them, i don't know which is worse... any thoughts on that?

I think each program has developed its own way of figuring out which applicants it wants, and I think each interview day is designed along those lines.

I try not to worry about what they are thinking, although I WILL be letting the one or two I like best know.

For me it is:

1. Is the training going to allow me to become the pediatrician I want to be?

2. Does this program work for my family (location location location!)?

3. Do I think I will like these people?

4. WHAT DOES MY GUT SAY?

I think a lot of us put waaaaaay too much of our OCD brain cells into this process, but in the end I think most people go with #4.:luck:

one of my interviewers was a former program director and he was very good about being upfront with me and saying it as it is.

he asked me, "what is the purpose of this interview?"

I replied, "To determine how well I will fit in with my resident peers and how well I will work with my future patients."

he said, "yes, but in the reverse order. if it was allowed, i would bring patients into the interview and see how well you interact with them...."

this was something that was echoed at other programs as well. And I think something that is often overlooked by us is the fact that we are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing us. That is just my 2 cents....