Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychmatch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that most review committees meet this week or next to make the rank list. Do they vote and in the end count the votes? How much of a role does the PD have in this process? Also,how can they tell you that you are definitely in the top half or whatever before they have even counted points and made the ROL?

Members don't see this ad.

Everybody uses a different system. If you're a competitive program and usually fill in the top 10 ranks, then it's very important to review all of the candidates and rank carefully. If you're program is not competitive and always ends up in the scramble, then really the only thing that matters is whether someone is on or off the list -- if you enter your list upside down (i.e. best person at the bottom) you'd get the exact same match results (ONLY TRUE if you end up in the scramble).

PD's can tell you you'll be in the top half before the ROL is made because we can look at your application, and predict (with reasonable accuracy) where you'll end up.

What about a program inbetween those two? Also,if someone's application is better than ours but we made a very favorable impression during the interview,would that help the PD already make his decision..I assume once the interview day is over,the interviewers give the PD the interview score sheets?

What about a program inbetween those two? Also,if someone's application is better than ours but we made a very favorable impression during the interview,would that help the PD already make his decision..I assume once the interview day is over,the interviewers give the PD the interview score sheets?

I really hope that a person can move up considerably based on an interview, but I doubt it. Competitive programs are going to have enough good applicants that actually have a personality AND great credentials to put at the beginning of their list. I hope that interviews play a large role, but I know for a fact that some programs have "point" systems where you earn points for your scores, grades, interview, etc. (essentially the interview matters, but I don't think that it will trump all of your other stats usually... unless you make a huge interview gaffe). That being said, all programs are different and probably have their own methods. I just don't see a good interview bumping you all the way to the top of their rank list if you would be closer to the bottom based on stats (because it is only one component of your total application).

I say this with remorse because I am probably one of these people that probably isn't at the top of a competitive program's list based on my boards stats alone. Who knows, I can always hope that I struck a cord with the interviewers but at the same time I need to be realistic (unfortunately). But we can always hope... :xf:

aPD ,your opinion on the above post please?

Yeah competitive programs have applicants with both,but what about a program that is somewhere inbetween(I'm an IMG and want to stay on the West Coast ,so its harder for me definitely!) I don't have high board scores as well(I gave good explanations for them)..but have some experience in the U.S. I'm really banking on my interviews-I thought and was told I did really well on them. I know they won't move me to the top of the list,but atleast a few spaces up??

Of course interviews count. Yes they can move you on the ROL -- both up and down. As mentioned, they are one part of your application. Other factors go into the ROL. It's hard to be any more specific than that -- each program is different.