Rank Order List for AOA Emergency Medicine Programs (2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen the thread for ROL this year so I just wanted to start it. I formed my ROL based on my interview experience, audition rotation and geographic location. These are based on my personal preference.

COMLEX 1 and 2 = in low 600s
PE passed first time.
Good grades. Good LORs and SLOEs. Good audition evals.

1. Mt Sinai Med Ctr, FL
Positives: Rotated there and loved the diversity of pathology. Likely 3yr. Miami beach!. Happy residents and cool PD.
Negatives: High COL

2. Lehigh Valley, PA
Positives: Rotated there and loved it! Probably the BEST AOA training program for EM.
Negatives: Can get cold in the winter

3. UPMC Hamot, PA
Positives: Happy residents. Solid EM program. Young and energetic PD. Likely become 3yr. Most organized interview. Pay is one of the highest. Great benefits. Trauma run smoothly.
Negatives: Erie has a lot of snow.

4. St Barnabas, NY
Posities: Pathology. Trauma. Will come out as a beast. Shadowed there for a few days.
Negatives: High COL.

5. Sparrow, MI
Positives: Level 1 trauma center, ACGME
Negatives: Residents are not very interactive.

6. Adena Health, OH
Positives: Great facility. Mostly underserved patients. Tons of procedures. Likely 3 yr.
Negatives: Chillicothe

7. Southeastern Health, NC
Positives: Very sick patient population. Tons of pathology. North Carolina weather
Negatives: Lumberton

8. Genesys, MI
Positives: Pathology. Trauma. ACGME
Negatives: Interview with the PD didn't go very well.

9. Desert Regional, CA
Positives: California. Pathology.
Negatives: NO EMR. New program. Residents don't seem to like each other.

10. Palm Beach Consortium, FL
Positives: Location. Pathology. Rotated there.
Negatives: Didn't like the interview. Too stressful.

----
I am not ranking these programs.
1. Charleston, WV - Not very friendly people. The interview day was not organized and the interviewers were very uninterested in you. I was the one who asked all the questions. The residents were pretty stressed out and looked pretty tired. My parents are from Charleston and so I thought I would end up there.
2. Aria Health, PA - I just didn't find them very friendly. Some residents left the program.. fired? fed up?
3. Doctors, OH - Rotated there. Nice ED with great pathology. But, PD is cocky and tells self-promoting jokes. Residents don't like each other and some are malignant. High numbers but mostly pain seekers. Long work hours.
4. Albert Einstein, PA - Rotated there. Good pathology. But, the residents are just cocky and not fun to be around. If you don't like hierarchy, don't go there.
------
I turned down interviews from these programs.
1. Botsford, MI
2. St. Elizabeth, OH
3. Grandview, OH
4. South Pointe, OH
5. St Luke's, OH
-------
I didn't get invites from these programs.
1. Kingman Regional, AZ
2. Arrowhead, CA
3. Good Samaritan, NY
4. Kent Hospital, RI

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't seen the thread for ROL this year so I just wanted to start it. I formed my ROL based on my interview experience, audition rotation and geographic location. These are based on my personal preference.

COMLEX 1 and 2 = in low 600s
PE passed first time.
Good grades. Good LORs and SLOEs. Good audition evals.

1. Mt Sinai Med Ctr, FL
Positives: Rotated there and loved the diversity of pathology. Likely 3yr. Miami beach!. Happy residents and cool PD.
Negatives: High COL

2. Lehigh Valley, PA
Positives: Rotated there and loved it! Probably the BEST AOA training program for EM.
Negatives: Can get cold in the winter

3. UPMC Hamot, PA
Positives: Happy residents. Solid EM program. Young and energetic PD. Likely become 3yr. Most organized interview. Pay is one of the highest. Great benefits. Trauma run smoothly.
Negatives: Erie has a lot of snow.

4. St Barnabas, NY
Posities: Pathology. Trauma. Will come out as a beast. Shadowed there for a few days.
Negatives: High COL.

5. Sparrow, MI
Positives: Level 1 trauma center, ACGME
Negatives: Residents are not very interactive.

6. Adena Health, OH
Positives: Great facility. Mostly underserved patients. Tons of procedures. Likely 3 yr.
Negatives: Chillicothe

7. Southeastern Health, NC
Positives: Very sick patient population. Tons of pathology. North Carolina weather
Negatives: Lumberton

8. Genesys, MI
Positives: Pathology. Trauma. ACGME
Negatives: Interview with the PD didn't go very well.

9. Desert Regional, CA
Positives: California. Pathology.
Negatives: NO EMR. New program. Residents don't seem to like each other.

10. Palm Beach Consortium, FL
Positives: Location. Pathology. Rotated there.
Negatives: Didn't like the interview. Too stressful.

----
I am not ranking these programs.
1. Charleston, WV - Not very friendly people. The interview day was not organized and the interviewers were very uninterested in you. I was the one who asked all the questions. The residents were pretty stressed out and looked pretty tired. My parents are from Charleston and so I thought I would end up there.
2. Aria Health, PA - I just didn't find them very friendly. Some residents left the program.. fired? fed up?
3. Doctors, OH - Rotated there. Nice ED with great pathology. But, PD is cocky and tells self-promoting jokes. Residents don't like each other and some are malignant. High numbers but mostly pain seekers. Long work hours.
4. Albert Einstein, PA - Rotated there. Good pathology. But, the residents are just cocky and not fun to be around. If you don't like hierarchy, don't go there.
------
I turned down interviews from these programs.
1. Botsford, MI
2. St. Elizabeth, OH
3. Grandview, OH
4. South Pointe, OH
5. St Luke's, OH
-------
I didn't get invites from these programs.
1. Kingman Regional, AZ
2. Arrowhead, CA
3. Good Samaritan, NY
4. Kent Hospital, RI

Only one I would be careful of on your list is your number six. Imagine driving for a lot of your off service rotations(trauma/peds) in an Ohio winter from Chillicothe. Doable but rough.

Also rank the ones you hate at the bottom. Better to match then not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Only one I would be careful of on your list is your number six. Imagine driving for a lot of your off service rotations(trauma/peds) in an Ohio winter from Chillicothe. Doable but rough.

Also rank the ones you hate at the bottom. Better to match then not.
Considering a lot of people live in Columbus and make the reverse commute on a daily basis, its not that terrible. Certainly not worse than NYC.

I like the OP's rank list but why not rank place? scrambling would be miserable.

Reactions: 1 user
Great list and I agree with above. Rank all. For all you know you might end up scrambling into another specialty and program that has all the cons you listed above. At least you'd be in EM with those cons if ranked. GL