Rank the top 5 Post Bac Programs for those with no science background!

R

rmadraswala

What are the top 5 post bac programs on the east coast for those who have not completed any of the prereqs and have no science background?

(Please think about the linkage program, MCAT prep, and the % of students entering med school upon completion of the program when coming up with your ranking!)

NapeSpikes

Believe, hon.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My humble opinion:

1. Goucher
2. Bryn Mawr
3. Hopkins
4. UPenn
5. Scripps

Bryn Mawr has the most links and has been around longer, but Goucher's percentage is better and it is more selctive because it's smaller. Hopkins' postbac program is only a few years old, but it's been doing well...

corsair

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
PDX
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm showing my ignorance here because I'm not familiar with all of those schools. I am assuming they are all on the East Coast though, right?

Are there any opinions on Post Bacc programs on the West Coast?

Oops...it was all in the FAQ....sorry. :oops:

BabyDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
Goucher may be more selective and have a good percentage, but I would express extreme caution. Goucher is for gunners -- if that describes you, then go for it, but if you are non-traditional in the sense that you are less concerned with backstabbing your classmates and more interested in becoming an excellent clinician, I would think twice before going to Goucher. They have good percentages because they run people off and do so unfairly.

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
RI
Status
Pre-Medical
Columbia is also for gunners. I've heard good things about Harvard Extension though.

twicetenturns

Davy Jones's Landlord
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
HES is designed for non-trads. They have enormous respect and are cheap. You don't need any linkages because all sponsored students that would have gotten in on a linkage will get in somewhere anyway. Never having taken any hard science before, I think it is tops, but I am tremendously biased. HES 04' HMS 09'

Pemulis

15+ Year Member
May 6, 2004
Next door to Nibbles Woodaway
Status
Attending Physician
BabyDoctor said:
Goucher may be more selective and have a good percentage, but I would express extreme caution. Goucher is for gunners -- if that describes you, then go for it, but if you are non-traditional in the sense that you are less concerned with backstabbing your classmates and more interested in becoming an excellent clinician, I would think twice before going to Goucher. They have good percentages because they run people off and do so unfairly.
I have never heard this about Goucher before. I am heading there this coming year, so what I have to say is not based on personal experience, but I did check the school out pretty thoroughly before deciding to go there. The concensus from the many, many, students that I spoke with, both past and present, is that it is a very supportive environment. I'm not sure what you mean by "they run people off and do so unfairly", either. From what I know, very few people who start the program fail to complete it; typically one or two, out of a starting class of maybe 35 people. This compares VERY favorably with most other post-bac programs. Lastly, I'm not sure what going to Goucher would have to do with becoming an excellent clinician. One learns to be a good clinician in med school and, more so, in residency. Your pre-med work has little if anything to do with it.

If you have specific information to back your claims, I would be interested to hear it, but otherwise I would suggest people take your post with a grain of salt.

BabyDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
Pemulis said:
I have never heard this about Goucher before. I am heading there this coming year, so what I have to say is not based on personal experience, but I did check the school out pretty thoroughly before deciding to go there. The concensus from the many, many, students that I spoke with, both past and present, is that it is a very supportive environment. I'm not sure what you mean by "they run people off and do so unfairly", either. From what I know, very few people who start the program fail to complete it; typically one or two, out of a starting class of maybe 35 people. This compares VERY favorably with most other post-bac programs. Lastly, I'm not sure what going to Goucher would have to do with becoming an excellent clinician. One learns to be a good clinician in med school and, more so, in residency. Your pre-med work has little if anything to do with it.

If you have specific information to back your claims, I would be interested to hear it, but otherwise I would suggest people take your post with a grain of salt.
I completed Goucher's program last year and it was by far the most toxic year of my life. This experience was not mine alone, as that opinion is shared by several of my classmates. I also investigated thoroughly and thought I was going into a very supportive and cooperative environment, and it was quite a shock to discover that was not the case. I was "encouranged" not to apply to medical school, since I was not considered a strong applicant. Other classmates had the same experience.

In speaking to previous post-bacs, I have come to believe that the atmosphere of the program has changed over the years. In the past, it was what it is currently advertised to be -- a supportive and cooperative environment in which to complete a challenging and stressful year. However, for whatever reason, that has changed. I have spoken with some of this year's class as well as the staff and they agree that the program is full of gunners.

Goucher provides academic preparation which will serve you very well in medical school. They have an excellent track record with getting people into medical school, and schools know Goucher's name and reputation, which definitely helps in the application process. Going to Goucher will definitely get you into medical school, if you stick with the program. I'm not trying to deny any of that, and for many people that is enough. However, for me personally, I was shocked to discover that it was not the program I thought it was, and had I the last two years to do over, I am not sure I would choose to go that route again. I also know that many of my classmates were happy with the program -- generally people I would call gunners, hence my original statement that Goucher is for gunners.

Good luck next year -- I hope that your class can break the negative cycles which seem to have been taking shape. Be sure to check out Moxley's ice cream, it's a great stress reliever after exams!

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2003
febrifuge.blogspot.com
Status
Non-Student
I'll make a plug for the program I'm starting in a couple months -- Bennington College. It's a very small program (about 10 a year, generally) and specifically built for slightly older non-trads with no science background. They seldom even take apps from people who've been out of college just a year or two. As for placement, if one of the ten doesn't get into school, that's 10% of your class, equal to 3 or 4 at Goucher or, what, 10 to 12 at Harvard? So Bennington's >95% rate in the last 10 years (student got a spot in one of their top few med schools, the first available app cycle) means a lot.

It seems like a nice blend; Goucher-level in terms of tuition, but Harvard-style in terms of supportive atmosphere; Bryn Mawr-ish when it comes to reputation of the school.

The atmosphere of the college is very, very liberal-artsy, and that's definitely not for everyone. But after some investigation, visiting the campus, and spending a couple days sitting in on classes, I'm sure it's the best way I could make the transition to being a strong med school candidate, given my background and skills. It's worth checking out; I think most people will know right away if they'd hate it.

NapeSpikes

Believe, hon.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm currently at Goucher. It's true that there may be some "gunners," people who want to succeed so badly that they'd do so at the cost of others. And there are those future surgeons that want to be the best in the class, but not at the expense of others. For me, those are the "hardcore" people, but not necessarily gunners. But...I do know of specific incidents this year where certain accusatory persons (gunners) were out "to get" other classmates. I'll just leave it at that.

But this year at least, I think there is definitely social pressure not to be competitive. It's just not...cool, for lack of a better term, and trust me, it is discouraged. It seems that the people who are most-liked and have the most friends here are the most laid-back, least-stressed. In turn, they have the support network. Those that are "gunner"-like are on the periphery of social circles, probably by their choice, and by everyone else's for that matter. Interestingly, the whiners and complainers are also in the same boat, because no one wants to be around negative people.

(Sorry for the one-dimensional terms for folks, no one is really like that. It just makes it less for me to type...)

Also, I have not heard of anyone being asked to leave the program. On the contrary, a few people were struggling and wanted to drop out first semester, but the advisors were very supportive, and in the end, they decided to stay. (All but one, anyway.)

I do understand that going to a place surrounded by extraordinarily intelligent, hard-working, and highly-(overly?) motivated folks can be rough, even "toxic," if you let it get to you. This year is definitely not easy, but it is what you make of it. I came in idealistic and wanting to save the world, and I'm leaving that way, no matter the gunners.