Ranking Advanced Program and not matching into prelim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herbalgarden

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, If I matched into an advanced program, but do not match into a prelim spot, do I lose the advance spot and the algorithm move on to the next advanced spot? and may end up not matching at all if I couldn't match into a prelim spot?

I remember someone told me that when ranking the prelim list, I can leave the last spot open so that if I do not match into a prelim spot, I can scramble rather than losing the advance spot also... but it doesn't seem like I can do this on NRMP. How do you guys approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, you keep the advanced spot and will have to scramble for prelim.

I remember someone told me that when ranking the prelim list, I can leave the last spot open so that if I do not match into a prelim spot, I can scramble rather than losing the advance spot also... but it doesn't seem like I can do this on NRMP. How do you guys approach this?

I think what they actually told you is very different than you understand it. When creating the primary match list, you list your advanced programs (each with a supplemental list). Then at the end of your primary match list you have a choice -- either you can list prelim programs at the end so that even if you don't get an advanced program at least you might line up something at a program of your choosing for a year, or alternatively you can list nothing at the end, in which case you have to scramble if you don't get into any of your advanced programs. The benefit of listing prelim programs is that you might get a better prelim program than you could scramble into, and still can scramble for any open advanced program. The downside is that if you match into a prelim program you are no longer eligible for anything categorical. If you matched into an advanced spot on the match you don't lose it if you didn't match into a prelim spot on your supplemental list, you simply need to scramble into a prelim spot without doing anything special on your list to protect the advanced spot.