Ranking Advanced Program Over Categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program at the top of my rank list has both categorical and advanced spots and I'm thinking of ranking advanced #1 and categorical #2, since the program is known to have a very difficult intern year. My question is would it be looked at negatively when applying for a fellowship or job to have done intern year at a cush TY program when I could have done a more challenging one at my anesthesiology program? Is internship something that fellowships or jobs actually care about or do they just care where you did residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think people care. The programs I know about that have advanced spots are Brigham, NYU, Hopkins, Mass Gen, Penn. Doubt you'll have trouble getting a job or fellowship from these lol

Most anesthesia programs that have advanced spots are transitioning away quickly (almost all of them had them when I went through the match 4 years ago) as there isn't nearly as much demand as for categorical so it may help you obtain a spot. This process takes a few years to organize internship rotations.

Not a soul will care about where you did your internship, especially private jobs. Do what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's transitional, maybe (to me it screams "cushy"). If it's a prelim, it probably won't matter.

Would you rank an advanced program high if you only have 4 interviews at prelim/transitional programs? That's the situation I'm in right now.

Would you rank an advanced program high if you only have 4 interviews at prelim/transitional programs? That's the situation I'm in right now.

Depends how confident you feel about matching in the prelim/transitional program. If your pretty confident then rank however you would like, if not, it would surely suck to have to scramble for a PGY-1 year.

The program at the top of my rank list has both categorical and advanced spots and I'm thinking of ranking advanced #1 and categorical #2, since the program is known to have a very difficult intern year. My question is would it be looked at negatively when applying for a fellowship or job to have done intern year at a cush TY program when I could have done a more challenging one at my anesthesiology program? Is internship something that fellowships or jobs actually care about or do they just care where you did residency?

Cush may be nice, but there are advantages to prelim/TY programs where you may get a little action. Part of anesthesia is taking care of chronic patients in an acute setting. If you have a good handle on how chronic issues are treated, it may make some things a little easier as you transition over.

If you like it enough. I had only two prelim/transitional interviews, but I liked one program enough that I ranked that program categorical and advanced programs one after the other (placing the advanced program above other categorical programs). Well, i got the advanced spot, but had to scramble for the prelim spot. Now I only applied a few years ago, so I know scrambling for a spot should not be a problem, but the question is where you end up. I was fortunate enough to land a pretty nice spot in the same city as my advanced program, but I was awfully close to accepting a Prelim Surgery spot in NYC (at a not so cush program). It is up to you, if that a risk you are willing to take.

If you like the program then yes - you can always scramble into a prelim spot somewhere if you had to (it's done alllll the time). Granted, it'd be a slight headache....

If you like the program then yes - you can always scramble into a prelim spot somewhere if you had to (it's done alllll the time). Granted, it'd be a slight headache....

Slight headache, with a little bit of gambling mixed in...if anyone want to hear my story PM me.

Reactions: 1 user