Ranking help... please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeSiYou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for all your help! Also, any tidbits of information that you can share about any of the programs will be much appreciated! :happy:

UPMC
Northwestern
Kresge Eye Institute
Henry Ford Hospital
Ohio State University
Loyola University
University of Cincinnati
Medical College of Wisconsin
Beaumont
University of Kentucky
University of Missouri Kansas City
Brown University
University of Rochester

Members don't see this ad.

What is important to you? Prestige? Location? Research? Program size? Strong fellowship matches or training in specific sub specialties?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks in advance for all your help! Also, any tidbits of information that you can share about any of the programs will be much appreciated! :happy:

UPMC
Northwestern
Kresge Eye Institute
Henry Ford Hospital
Ohio State University
Loyola University
University of Cincinnati
Beaumont
University of Kentucky
Brown University
University of Rochester

I agree with everyone else. Though I would rank Brown fairly low.

Some thoughts that might help you rank:
- in house call vs home call
- front loaded vs evenly distributed
- private vs county/mixed
- away rotations vs mostly in one location
- prestige/academics vs non
- location location location - do you have family preferences or a significant other coming with you. Cost of living?

If you prioritize those things and answer those questions honestly, ranking should be fairly easy. We cannot make this rank list for you. I'm sure my rank list of the above would be different, based on my career goals, priorities and personality.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input everyone! First and foremost, I want to graduate as a well-trained clinician and surgeon. Therefore I value very much a high clinical and surgical volume, adequate faculty representation in all subspecialties, as well as the variety of pathologies and patients that I will encounter at each program. I would also prefer to train at an academic program and would like to pursue fellowship after residency. I do prefer a larger program. Also, location is not an issue and I am willing to move anywhere.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

UPMC
Northwestern
Kresge Eye Institute
Henry Ford Hospital
Ohio State University
Loyola University
University of Cincinnati
Beaumont
University of Kentucky
Brown University
University of Rochester

First of all, most of these programs are very solid and would provide great training. Here would be my personal take on things. I'm sure others will have a different perspective!

1) Pitt (the strongest reputation among this group and excellent clinical training)
2) Kresge, Ohio State (both have dedicated eye centers, wide variety of training sites and are larger programs)
3) Northwestern (academic bent, great location), MCW (stand-alone eye center, very well connected faculty)
4) Loyola, Rochester, Beaumont, Henry Ford, Kentucky, UMKC, Cincinnati
5) Brown

Good luck! If you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were interested in retina, then Beaumont would probably be a top choice among the 4th group of programs. Their retina fellowship is incredible and their retina faculty are well connected. They match their residents into great retina fellowships every year.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all, most of these programs are very solid and would provide great training. Here would be my personal take on things. I'm sure others will have a different perspective!

1) Pitt (the strongest reputation among this group and excellent clinical training)
2) Kresge, Ohio State (both have dedicated eye centers, wide variety of training sites and are larger programs)
3) Northwestern (academic bent, great location), MCW (stand-alone eye center, very well connected faculty)
5) Brown

Good luck! If you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were interested in retina, then Beaumont would probably be a top choice among the 4th group of programs. Their retina fellowship is incredible and their retina faculty are well connected. They match their residents into great retina fellowships every year.

I agree with this for the most part. Really spot on. The choice amongst the programs in #3 is personal.

I agree with all of the above. I am a little iffy on putting Northwestern and MCW as # 3 and the rest in # 4, honestly I think MCW and Northwestern are as much #4 as the rest of the programs listed there, and the details in ranking come down to preference and where you will be happy. I have often seen both of those programs fall below the programs listed in #4 on many rank lists for various reasons, including but not limited to surgical numbers, clinical training, co-residents, location, faculty.

If you take a 'good' program where you don't fit in as well or start having internal conflicts with faculty, the way things are run, etc, (your happiness in general there), you will not be as well trained when compared to an equivalent program where you feel driven to maximize your education -- and a lot of that is personal preference and not a right or wrong.

Sorry to hijack the post but I didn't want to start a new thread with the same request.
I am having a hard time deciding how to rank these programs: VCU, Wake Forest, EVMS, Mount Sinai, Henry Ford, UT San Antonio. Any ideas which one of these has the best training? I don't mind the location. I would appreciate your input.

Last edited:

5) Brown

I essentially agree, though I don't think NW is as good as the name carries. Still decent program and great location. I would say that UK and Rochester actually have some of the best clinical training of the "mid level" programs. Both are very good programs. I'd rank Kresge 1 and put Pitt on the 2nd tier there, but partly because Pitt is undergoing some changes in faculty. It is a great program and I'm sure will remain a great program. I do think Kresge is a better "name". Also, as Bronze said, if you are set on retina I'd bump Beaumont up (also points for UK). ARC is arguably the most competitive retina fellowship in the country, so I imagine their connections are unparalleled. You have a great list, good luck!

I essentially agree, though I don't think NW is as good as the name carries. Still decent program and great location. I would say that UK and Rochester actually have some of the best clinical training of the "mid level" programs. Both are very good programs. I'd rank Kresge 1 and put Pitt on the 2nd tier there, but partly because Pitt is undergoing some changes in faculty. It is a great program and I'm sure will remain a great program. I do think Kresge is a better "name". Also, as Bronze said, if you are set on retina I'd bump Beaumont up (also points for UK). ARC is arguably the most competitive retina fellowship in the country, so I imagine their connections are unparalleled. You have a great list, good luck!

What kind of faculty changes are happening at Pitt?

Hey sorry guys, what are the issues for Brown? I was surprised to see them ranked so low

1a) Kresge Eye Institute, UPMC
1b) Henry Ford Hospital, Loyola University, Medical College of Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio State University, University of Rochester
2a) Beaumont, University of Cincinnati, University of Kentucky
2b) University of Missouri Kansas City
3) Brown University

Alphabetical order. Also notice that programs in the same state aren't in the same level- which generally is true I believe (exception is loyola and nw b/c loyola is not truly in Chicago, and the patient populations are completely different. Both have their positives and negatives). I'd rank it like this, then reorder each line based on size/location/fellowship preference i.e. do you want good oculoplastic mentors (mcw) or retina (hfh) or pediatrics (nw) or comprehensive (osu)

What kind of faculty changes are happening at Pitt?

The chair from UPMC is leaving to become chair at NYU starting January 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chair from UPMC is leaving to become chair at NYU starting January 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woah that's awesome news! Who will take his place?

I think UPMC doesn't have a replacement ready so it kinda hurts them

I really don't think the chair changing has anything to do with your experience as a resident, and frankly I think it's silly to base your ranking on that. Every program experiences turnover.

I really don't think the chair changing has anything to do with your experience as a resident, and frankly I think it's silly to base your ranking on that. Every program experiences turnover.

Completely untrue. The chair sets the standard from everything to who the faculty are/new faculty hires (critically important to the residency), budgeting issues (do you need a new tech? a new OCT machine? better hope you have the $ for it), areas of research interest, fellowship matches (you need a LOR from them), etc. The chair sets the whole tone for the department. High turnover in faculty is a bad thing.

Sorry to hijack the post but I didn't want to start a new thread with the same request.
I am having a hard time deciding how to rank these 3 programs: VCU, Henry Ford, UT San Antonio. Any ideas which one of these has the best training? I don't mind the location. I would appreciate your input.

Henry Ford and San Antonio are both good programs. Would push VCU further down the list.