Ranking help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hekim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a little trouble making my rank list. I am kind of torn between two institutions: UVA and UCSD. Can anyone offer me some advice about decision-making? Both seem like great schools and equally wonderful places to live (just in different ways). Would either one be better for getting a fellowship/job down the line? Anyone from either of these schools with some insight as to the quality of education? I'm going crazy here.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a little trouble making my rank list. I am kind of torn between two institutions: UVA and UCSD. Can anyone offer me some advice about decision-making? Both seem like great schools and equally wonderful places to live (just in different ways). Would either one be better for getting a fellowship/job down the line? Anyone from either of these schools with some insight as to the quality of education? I'm going crazy here.

The only three things to consider: Where do you want to live (both programs are on opp sides of the country)? Do these programs have the fellowship you are interested in? Which program would you be happy in?

Do you have family? Do you have any ties at all to either place? At some point you are likely to settle down - it can happen in residency or it can happen later. If you are equally happy with two training programs then it comes down to where you want to live or should be living. If all else is really and truly equal go with where you can live the cheapest!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any first hand knowledge about UCSD but I can tell you my impressions of UVA which might hopefully help you make a decision. By way of background, I completed a 1-month elective at UVA last year.

I was really impressed with the UVA program. The program director, Dr. Atkins, is very friendly, as are the residents. They have lots of big name attendings -Wick, Mills, Patterson, etc. I attended a few conferences while I was there and these were quite good (Mills' weekly conference was especially worthwhile). Also, the facilities at UVA are very good. A couple of downsides (or upsides depending on your perspective) about this program are that it is spread out so you will do a lot of walking. Also, you will definitely work hard when you are on surgicals.

UVA has a number of fellowships, including dermpath, so this should certainly be an important consideration for anyone interested in fellowship training.

One of the biggest selling points about the UVA program for me was the city of Charlottesville which is beautiful and safe. It is a small town, which may not appeal to everybody. However, it would suit someone who likes doing outdoor activities such as hiking.

I enjoyed my month at UVA very much and would definitely recommend the program.

Well, no one else has posted anything specific about UCSD.

I'm on faculty at UCSD. I don't want to be perceived in anyway as representing the official internet "voice" of UCSD path, so I don't tend to post much.

If you (hekim or anyone else) have any specific questions about UCSD, please feel free to PM me.

I dont think you could go wrong with either program but Charlottesville seems like it would be a pretty boring city, especially if you are single.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, I am a little more tied to the VA area because that's where my family is, but I could handle a relocation. It has occurred to me that UCSD might be better for meeting people (I am single), but I guess that's not the best criterion for choosing a residency! Still debating internally. Thanks again, all.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, I am a little more tied to the VA area because that's where my family is, but I could handle a relocation. It has occurred to me that UCSD might be better for meeting people (I am single), but I guess that's not the best criterion for choosing a residency! Still debating internally. Thanks again, all.

If you are from UVA area, then for sure go ucsd. If u want to end up in va. Come back to UVA for fellowship

Last edited:
Any criteria which is important to you is a good criteria...for you. That doesn't mean you should ignore other things, or that you shouldn't take a serious look at the priorities of what's important to you -- but I don't think there's anything wrong with realizing hey, you're currently single enough and might want to have a little bit of a life outside of training. Three to five years in one location is a long time, and feels a lot longer if you don't enjoy the time away from work. At the same time, a good and enjoyable training program can ease concerns with location for some people. Either way, it's not like considering a move for only a 1 year fellowship, where I think it's easier to focus on the program more than the location.