Ranking linked A/P programs on supplemental list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protosri

Reaction score
Hey guys, burning question. My understanding is there are two types of linked A/P spots-

1) There are lesser guaranteed prelim spots than advanced spots, in which case I have to rank other prelims in my supplemental list to ensure a match.

2) All advanced spots are guaranteed a prelim spot, in which case ranking the linked A/P program alone in the supplemental list ensures a match.

Now my question is, since no. 2 is a guaranteed prelim match, if I have other prelim preferences that I rank above the equal-spot prelims as below-

Supplemental list:
1) Prelim A
2) Prelim B
3) Guaranteed prelim spot (equal prelim-advanced spots)

In this scenario, am I correct in assuming that I can safely end up with the guaranteed spot if I don't match into my top two prelim choices?

Members don't see this ad.

Given that it's guaranteed then yes, that it's a correct assumption.

Yes, mostly. If there are as many P positions as A positions and they are all linked, then you will match there UNLESS they decide not to rank you on the prelim list. This would be rare, but is a possibility.

In any case, you can't do any worse with a rank list this way.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, mostly. If there are as many P positions as A positions and they are all linked, then you will match there UNLESS they decide not to rank you on the prelim list. This would be rare, but is a possibility.

In any case, you can't do any worse with a rank list this way.

Thanks! But if advanced programs guarantee a prelim spot, how can they then not rank me in it?

The Advanced Anesthesia list and the Prelim Medicine list are two separate lists. As the IM PD, I could choose not to rank someone if I thought one of my advanced programs was making a huge mistake. This happens very rarely.

I guess that makes the word "guarantee" somewhat incorrect. I don't have any prelim positions set up like this, so it's not an issue for me. If I did, I'd probably tell the candidate that they were not ranked, so they could make the most informed decision. Regardless, this is very rare and probably not worth thinking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the detailed response!!

But almost all the advanced programs did not have us interview with the linked medicine team. In this scenario, how can medicine decide or not decide to rank us?

Some advanced programs had us interview with the medicine team but assured us of the prelim spot if we match into the advanced spot. This leads me to believe that in this second case the advanced rank list is prepared only after consultation with the medicine team.

This is all too important and complicated at the same time and has been quite anxiety provoking before the rank list deadline!

Do not want to rank a guaranteed linked spot prelim no. 3 and end up SOAPing for prelims.

Do not want to rank a guaranteed linked spot prelim no. 3 and end up SOAPing for prelims.

You are seriously not understanding how the match works.

If anyone fails to match, they would fail to match no matter what order their rank list is in. Reordering your rank list can only change where you match, not if you match.

If you don't match at a guaranteed prelim, then they didn't rank you and you would not match there no matter what you did with your rank list.

You are seriously overthinking this. If you don't trust them when they say the prelim is guaranteed, just rank all of the prelims in whatever order you want for each of your advanced options. You will only be able to add the guaranteed prelim position for the one advanced match it is guaranteed for, just add it wherever in the list you'd like. This is not something to lose sleep over.