Ranking Northeast programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdude999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help in ranking Northeast programs. I dont care about geography other then just being northeast.

Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYU
Dartmouth
U Vermont
U Mass
MGH
BID
Yale
SUNY Syracuse
SUNY Stony Brook

Members don't see this ad.

I need help in ranking Northeast programs. I dont care about geography other then just being northeast.

Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYU
Dartmouth
U Vermont
U Mass
MGH
BID
Yale
SUNY Syracuse
SUNY Stony Brook

No JHU or UPenn???

are you seriously asking...really...are you serious....really

rank your SUNY's 1 and 2 and MGH last...really...

Members don't see this ad :)
How about alphabetical?

BID
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Einstein
MGH
Mount Sinai
NYU
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Syracuse
U Mass
U Vermont
Yale

Boston University is not on the list, making it woefully incomplete.

Boston University, the home of the Mallory Institute of Pathology.
Boston University, where the late Dr. Robbins wrote the first edition of a textbook many of you have read: Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease.
Boston University, which has nearly doubled the size of its faculty in the past 2 years. See details at http://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm-pathology/chairmans-blog/
Boston University, which has had a 10 fold increase in extramural grant funding in the past 2 years
Boston University, with the oldest accredited cytology fellowship in the City of Boston

Dan Remick
Professor and Chair of Pathology, Boston University School of Medicine

Columbia
Cornell
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYU
Dartmouth
U Vermont
U Mass
MGH
BID
Yale
SUNY Syracuse
SUNY Stony Brook

A message board is probably not the best venue to solicit opinions on matters like this, because no one here knows you or what matters to you. This is a general comment on the ROL questions/comments that will continue until the bitter end.

It is pretty safe to say that if you work hard in residency you will be "adequately trained" by any of these places. The wide variety of opinions (some more informed than others) as to what should be on the top of your list indicates that you will, in all probability, emerge from one of these places as a board eligible pathologist.

Just rank the place you liked/fit in the best first and work your way down. When I went to lunch with residents from one of the places on your list I wanted to get up & leave because it was like a never-ending bad date. Naturally, they didn't get ranked. If stuff like this happened to you, take note and don't rank 'em.

Last edited:
what is the theme of this list? there are lots of good NE programs missing.

This thread fails.

Now my response is a hidden message in this picture:
y2ivsoelma.jpg

faaaabulous...

i keep referring to things that "fail" at rounds and in general conversation, but apparently no one else knows what i'm talking about. so i have to be content with amusing myself...

everything should be a wash with mgh at the top...

sunys, umass, and vermont last

No way in heck vermont should be last. Have you been there? It's a great program with a great history. The surg path director is one of the most amazing pathologists and teachers in the world.

I doubt those who so unequivocally put MGH at the top have actually spent much time there and at the other places to which it is being compared (exception Caffeinegirl). Decent residency programs are a lot more alike than most applicants realize. Some differences in volume, this and that attending, you might as well compare the cafeteria food. People make way too much of where they train.

I doubt those who so unequivocally put MGH at the top have actually spent much time there and at the other places to which it is being compared (exception Caffeinegirl). Decent residency programs are a lot more alike than most applicants realize. Some differences in volume, this and that attending, you might as well compare the cafeteria food. People make way too much of where they train.

i definitely agree! i didn't even apply there because no way i was moving to Boston. location was the most important thing to me because i felt that all the programs i applied to would train me well and ALL have their own specific problems, mine included. but at the end of the day, i'm living where i want to live and i'm a million times happier because of it.