Ranking the 2-4 programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eidee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I only interviewed at a single 2-4 program and since it was the only 2-4 program i applied to, I only did a 1 prelim interview (which was complimentary after my EM interview). as interviews draw to a close, i was thinking, what would happen if I didn't match at the prelim program but matched my 2-4 program? do i scramble for a prelim/transitional spot the 2 days before the match--but still keep my spot at the 2-4 EM program?

does anyone know what im talkin about? :confused:

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

happened to a couple of guys in my class doing anesthesia and neuro - your 2-4 spot is safe, you just scramble for a prelim spot.

Eidee said:
do i scramble for a prelim/transitional spot the 2 days before the match--but still keep my spot at the 2-4 EM program?

Short answer - yes. Long answer, it probably won't matter, if you are a decent EM candidate then you are a great prelim one. Plus, lots of TY/Prelim spots go unfilled.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
FoughtFyr said:
Short answer - yes. Long answer, it probably won't matter, if you are a decent EM candidate then you are a great prelim one. Plus, lots of TY/Prelim spots go unfilled.

- H

No fear! Many people are in the same boat, and there are a ton of great prelim programs that go unfilled. Also, if your prelim program is at the same institution you have a very high chance of getting in there.

Yeah I think the TYs get filled quickly... but the prelim meds have a decent number of spots and the prelim surgery spots are a complete joke to get.. There were like 500 spots left last yr I think..

the prelim program at my med school was so popular that a every year a bunch of ppl have to go elsewhere b/c it always fills fast...

Transitional year spots are available well into scramble. I scrambled into EM last year, but was offered 2 separate Transitional Year spots after I'd signed the deal. One was in Ohio, the other was in North Dakota.

GeneralVeers said:
the other was in North Dakota.
Thats says a lot doesnt it? I havent been there but I can assure you it isnt one of the places I plan on being in for more than 2 or 3 days...

EctopicFetus said:
Thats says a lot doesnt it? I havent been there but I can assure you it isnt one of the places I plan on being in for more than 2 or 3 days...

Yah from looking at the match statistics from scutwork (and of course gossip) TY seem to be more popular and are matched well. But prelim medicine just really depends on the school and how many residencies it has that need that year (EM, anesth...whatever else uses that). But there are a bunch open it seems in places that do not have very many other residencies (and some in nice cities).