rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone suggest which are the top 10 GI programs in the country especially for academics? I looked up NIH funding but could not find it specific to Gastro. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, will see more of me as I am one of the applicant for this year. Does US news ranking help?

Not a top 10 list by any means, but rather a partial list of programs that my colleagues and I liked last year and would strongly recommend a visit... They all have their strengths, relative weaknesses, and idiosyncracies, but really all are very good programs. YMMV obviously, depending on your career goals. I would say that my colleagues and I mostly looked at academic programs, though some of us wanted research tracks while others looked at clinician educator pathways.

Grouped by region and in no particular order (other than what popped into my head first):

North: Penn, Johns Hopkins, Mt. Sinai, all 3 Harvard programs, Yale, Pittsburgh
Midwest: Wash U, Michigan, Mayo Rochester, U Chicago, Cleveland Clinic
South: Duke, UNC, UT Southwestern
West: U Washington, UCSF, UCLA

There are many other programs with good-to-excellent reputations such as Florida, MUSC, Indiana, Stanford, Columbia, etc. but unfortunately I have neither first- nor second-hand knowledge of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a top 10 list by any means, but rather a partial list of programs that my colleagues and I liked last year and would strongly recommend a visit... They all have their strengths, relative weaknesses, and idiosyncracies, but really all are very good programs. YMMV obviously, depending on your career goals. I would say that my colleagues and I mostly looked at academic programs, though some of us wanted research tracks while others looked at clinician educator pathways.

Grouped by region and in no particular order (other than what popped into my head first):

What is your opinion on UAB, Vandy and Baylor in the south, and UCSD on the West Coast?

What is your opinion on UAB, Vandy and Baylor in the south, and UCSD on the West Coast?

Can only speak about Baylor. It's a clinically intensive, high volume program. Ample opportunities for procedures there, including adequate ERCP and EUS numbers (if you so desire) after 3 years of general GI fellowship. This is key for those who aim to enter private practice, as you can sell yourself as ERCP/EUS-competent without needing further advanced training. As a matter of fact, historically graduates from this program do exactly that, though the GI chief Dr. El-Serag is seeking to change this by recruiting more research-minded applicants.

The reason Baylor offers such exposure to ERCP/EUS for general GI fellows is because there is no Advanced Endoscopy training here. In fact, there is no advanced training for Hepatology or IBD either. All of this information is current as of 2009.

Overall, I think Baylor is a strong clinical program, but if possible you should also consider other programs if an academic career is a possibility.

Last edited:
Hi guys, here is the list of 50 top Gi programs from US news for quick referral:

Best Digestive Disorders Hospitals
Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Rank
Score
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
56.0%
Cleveland Clinic
31.7%
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
25.6%
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
25.7%
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
12.1%
University of Chicago Medical Center
12.9%
Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
14.7%
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
13.4%
University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
10.8%
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
7.0%
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
6.3%
New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
8.1%
Clarian Health, Indianapolis
6.6%
University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
7.2%
Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
7.6%
Methodist Hospital, Houston
2.2%
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
8.2%
UPMC-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
7.2%
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston
2.7%
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
8.5%
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
3.8%
Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
1.4%
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
3.1%
Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla.
2.5%
University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
3.3%
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
0.5%
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
1.2%
St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston
0.6%
University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview, Minneapolis
0.2%
Greenville Memorial Hospital, Greenville, S.C.
0.6%
Franklin Square Hospital Center, Baltimore
0.0%
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville
1.7%
Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis
0.0%
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison
0.8%
Lenox Hill Hospital, New York
1.5%
St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, N.Y.
0.0%
Christiana Care Health System, Newark, Del.
0.6%
University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland
0.5%
Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich.
0.0%
Lancaster General Hospital, Lancaster, Pa.
0.5%
Hillcrest Hospital, Cleveland
0.0%
Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, Downers Grove, Ill.
0.0%
Baltimore Washington Medical Center, Glen Burnie, Md.
0.0%
Genesys Regional Medical Center, Grand Blanc, Mich.
0.2%
Akron General Medical Center, Ohio
0.0%
Mayo Clinic Hospital, Phoenix
1.8%
Mary Washington Hospital, Fredericksburg, Va.
0.0%
Sinai-Grace Hospital, Detroit
0.0%
John Muir Medical Center, Walnut Creek, Calif.
0.0%
Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Milwaukee
0.2%

There are many other programs with good-to-excellent reputations such as Florida, MUSC, Indiana, Stanford, Columbia, etc. but unfortunately I have neither first- nor second-hand knowledge of them.

How is the program at Pittsburgh looked at in academic Gastroenterology circles?

How is the program at Pittsburgh looked at in academic Gastroenterology circles?

I had to cancel my interview there for various reasons, so much of the following is through hearsay.

Pittsburgh GI is a division that is especially known for the sheer number of transplants they do, so hepatology is certainly a strength. I also liked how the training program offers many different tracks for fellows (basic science, clinical research, clinician educator), allowing for quite a bit of flexibility in tailoring training toward one's academic goals. Not all programs offer this basic degree of freedom, believe it or not, and I certainly think it's a nice feature to have.

Finally, I found the following summary by FutureGIDoc06 several years back to be pretty accurate.

So GIJoes, I'll return the favor. I would say...
Hopkins
MGH
UCLA
Michigan
Pitt
Wash U./Stanford/Northwestern/Oregon
Florida/Virginia/Southwestern

Boston has a little bit more to offer as a city than Baltimore, though Baltimore's image has changed over the years. It depends on how interested in basic science you are as MGH is a very research oriented place and the GI fellowships are often extended an extra year to accommodate the research. UCLA is truly a top-notch program and has the benefit of being in LA, but with that comes significant cost of living that is difficult to afford with fellow salaries. Michigan and Pitt are both phenomenal programs in their own right and both have a good balance of the different GI specialties. The others are all great programs, but I feel less able to distinguish between them.

For academic prestige (CV booster):
Hopkins
MGH
UCLA
Michigan

I'm single and want to date (i.e. desirable cities, lots to do):
MGH
UCLA
Northwestern
Southwestern (tons of people in TX)

For low-cost of living:
Pittsburgh
U. Florida
Southwestern
Virginia

I love the outdoors:
Oregon
Michigan

I'm going into private practice:
"I'D NEVER CONSIDER PRIVATE PRACTICE AS ACADEMICS IS THE ONLY THING THAT FULFILLS ME" :D

I had to cancel my interview there for various reasons, so much of the following is through hearsay.

Pittsburgh GI is a division that is especially known for the sheer number of transplants they do, so hepatology is certainly a strength. I also liked how the training program offers many different tracks for fellows (basic science, clinical research, clinician educator), allowing for quite a bit of flexibility in tailoring training toward one's academic goals. Not all programs offer this basic degree of freedom, believe it or not, and I certainly think it's a nice feature to have.

Finally, I found the following summary by FutureGIDoc06 several years back to be pretty accurate.

Okay thanks a lot!

Hello people.

The US news ranking has nothing to do with the training. It is based on many factors, one of them being patient survival for example. As you may see, Methodist hospital in Houston is listed as one of the top GI centers, and as you know they do not have a GI fellowship.

So in conclusion, you should not base your picks based on the US news ranking.

Hello people.

The US news ranking has nothing to do with the training. It is based on many factors, one of them being patient survival for example. As you may see, Methodist hospital in Houston is listed as one of the top GI centers, and as you know they do not have a GI fellowship.

So in conclusion, you should not base your picks based on the US news ranking.

I agree. It was my impression that the US news rankings specifically didnt include any information on training, but is there a list that does rank the fellowship programs?