Raphex vs In service physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maforce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a huge score discrepancy between my raphex percentile and that of the physics portion of the in service exam (much higher on the in service exam). Which percentile score is a better indicator of how well you will do on the ABR physics board (in service or raphex)? Who all takes raphex? Medical physics graduates? Physics residents? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did people already get their inservice exam results?

I was thinking it would be the other way around. It was my understanding that you are ranked against all comers for physics, but only against your PGY level for the inservice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking it would be the other way around. It was my understanding that you are ranked against all comers for physics, but only against your PGY level for the inservice.

That's my understanding as well. In which case your performance on Raphex should be heavily dependent on your PGY year (higher percentile at higher years) and performance on in-service should not change significantly unless you're getting better relative to your same level peers.

Completely correct. I remember being horrified by my RAPHEX percentile during my first year, only to watch it rise astronomically in my second, and particulary third year. Remember that you are competing with PGY-4's that are a month away from taking the real deal... not a fair comparison against first years who have no idea what radiation is.

In-service percentiles, on the other hand, should be relatively stable. If you are above the 50th percentile (and really probably the 25th percentile) for your year in physics on the in-service, you are doing just fine.

I wouldn't obsess about percentiles on either exam. I hadn't looked at physics for over a year when I took inservice the year of my physics boards. I was below the 10th percentile (yikes) and come time for the boards I got all 4s in physics (the highest quartile). Just study and you will be fine.

When do we get the answer guide for the in-service exam?