Rapid tissue processing protocol

Started by DPath2000
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DPath2000

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did a search for this form and I couldn’t find a thread on this. I’m looking to rapidly process skin specimens that are 2 to 3 mm thick. I’m not a huge fan of microwave processors. I have a VIP5 and a Leica a ASP 300 S. All of these cases have been fixed overnight in NBF.
I’m going to throw out a protocol I’ve been working on:
1. 70% alcohol, 10 min, at 50 degrees C, P/V and mix on
2. 100% alcohol, 10 min, at 50 degrees C, P/V and mix on
3. 100% alcohol, 10 min, at 50 degrees C, P/V and mix on
4. Xylene, 10 min, at 50 degrees C, P/V and mix on
5. Xylene, 10 min, at 50 degrees C, P/V and mix on
6-7. Paraffin, 15 min, at 60 degrees C, P/V on mix off.

Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
I certainly am no histotech, but give it a try. The proof will be in the pudding. Only way you will know with any certainty.