Step I rare disease assumption

Started by Mleechu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mleechu

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey. I am having a hard time understanding the concept behind rare disease assumption . I know that is says when dz prevalence is low we can say odds ratio = Relative risk but i don't exactly know what's going on.
 
I don't know what rare disease assumption is, but odds ratio always refers to retrospective studies while relative risk refers to prospective studies.

Yep. That I know. But FA says if disease prevalence is low we can say OR = RR. I know this is known as "Rare Disease Assumption". But I am having trouble understanding why low prevalence would cause OR to become equal to RR.