Rate me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsAnotherOne

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are my chances

Members don't see this ad.

VolcomBoy13 said:
So what are my chances at USC, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, UMich, Nova, UNLV, BU, UMBC, Howard, NYU

Bio:21 (2nd time), 15 (1st time)
GenChem: 16 (2nd time), 20 (1st time)
OChem: 19 (2nd time), 11 (1st time)
RC: 22 (2nd time), 18 (1st time)
Quant: 19 (2nd time), 22 (1st time)
Perceptual: 20 (2nd time), 22 (1st time)

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.05
Underrepresented Minority from Cali
Good LOR, shadowing, personal statement, etc.

Rejected: Indiana, Case, UPenn, Columbia, Arizona
Decided not to do 2ndary: Loma Linda
Interview:Tufts, Temple
Accepted Tufts

when did you send in your apps?

VolcomBoy13 said:
So what are my chances at USC, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, UMich, Nova, UNLV, BU, UMBC, Howard, NYU

Bio:21 (2nd time), 15 (1st time)
GenChem: 16 (2nd time), 20 (1st time)
OChem: 19 (2nd time), 11 (1st time)
RC: 22 (2nd time), 18 (1st time)
Quant: 19 (2nd time), 22 (1st time)
Perceptual: 20 (2nd time), 22 (1st time)

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 3.05
Underrepresented Minority from Cali
Good LOR, shadowing, personal statement, etc.

Rejected: Indiana, Case, UPenn, Columbia, Arizona
Decided not to do 2ndary: Loma Linda
Interview:Tufts, Temple
Accepted Tufts
Your overall GPA is good and your DAT is pretty good except that you went down in 3 sections (GChem, QR, and PA). Not a big deal except for GChem, anything below a 17 is an eye sore. But I bet your AA is up there so :thumbup: . Being a minority is a big plus. I will go ahead and assume that you still haven't interviewed at the schools in your list so that is a very big minus. I don't think that you will get in at NYU w/out an interview so I think that you are probably going to go to Tufts next year.

Is Tufts not one of your top choices? Post which schools you are shooting for so we can narrow this down. With eleven schools I really just don't know. Also the post above makes a good point with when did you submitt the app. b/c if it was early you have better chances........but then again it means that you are a low priority due to no interview invites. If you do recieve interviews then they will be Feb. to Mar. and that ain't good.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have already been accepted to Tufts, right? It says in your signature. So i guess you are good enough to become a dentist.

If you are a cali resident i'm sure you have a good chance of getting accepted to one of the cali schools.

drengineer said:
You have already been accepted to Tufts, right? It says in your signature. So i guess you are good enough to become a dentist.

If you are a cali resident i'm sure you have a good chance of getting accepted to one of the cali schools.

in my experience that isn't necessarily true about california. they are extremely tough. your sci gpa is low (UCLA/UCSF love high numbers) and your DATs are good but not fantastic (UOP loves 20's across the board). That's my opinion i guess

My opinion is that you're pretty screwed for CA schools.

The minority thing won't help you in USC or UoP.

Your DAT will kill you in UoP. They love the DAT. They almost require all 20's or higher.

Your sci GPA will kill you in UCLA. They love high GPA's.

Your only shot would be at USC if you nail their PBL excercise and are exactly what they want. USC seems to be a bit easier to get into because so many people object to the insane cost. In addition, USC keeps several spots open much later in the year as compared to other CA schools, which fill up fast.

Stay positive. At least you have been accepted in one school!

PDizzle said:
My opinion is that you're pretty screwed for CA schools.

The minority thing won't help you in USC or UoP.

Your DAT will kill you in UoP. They love the DAT. They almost require all 20's or higher.

Your sci GPA will kill you in UCLA. They love high GPA's.

Your only shot would be at USC if you nail their PBL excercise and are exactly what they want. USC seems to be a bit easier to get into because so many people object to the insane cost. In addition, USC keeps several spots open much later in the year as compared to other CA schools, which fill up fast.

Stay positive. At least you have been accepted in one school!

I actually got an interview yesterday with UCLA, but I hear what you are saying. Any feedback about my chances at UCLA now that I have gotten an interview?

UCLA is one of those schools you interview your 90% in. Congrats. mind if i ask when you sent in your application.

to the OP, i think you're good to go buddy. TUFTS is a good dental school and Boston is a great city.

good luck and congrats

'USC keeps several spots open much later in the year as compared to other CA schools, which fill up fast.'

This is very true, my brother was accepted 5 days before school started and he had already signed a lease and found a roomate for Boston University...he ended up going to USC though and loved it.

teefRcool said:
UCLA is one of those schools you interview your 90% in. Congrats. mind if i ask when you sent in your application.

By the time my AADSAS application was sent out, it was beginning of October. Then they sent me a postcard, after which you have 2 weeks to mail in the secondary. I mailed in my secondary on November 14th, so I must have received the postcard on or around November 1st.

VolcomBoy13 said:
I actually got an interview yesterday with UCLA, but I hear what you are saying. Any feedback about my chances at UCLA now that I have gotten an interview?

That's awesome!! Congrats! Like someone else said, for UCLA getting the interview is the hard part. You have a real good chance of getting in.

Another example of how I don't know what the hell I'm talking about!! :laugh:

Good luck

PDizzle said:
That's awesome!! Congrats! Like someone else said, for UCLA getting the interview is the hard part. You have a real good chance of getting in.

Another example of how I don't know what the hell I'm talking about!! :laugh:

Good luck

does anyone know how full UCSF is?