Rate these Texas IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't completed my interviews yet but am curious how others would rate these Texas programs: Scott & White, UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, UTMB (Galveston), Texas Tech - Lubbock

Would most people just rank based on location?

Members don't see this ad.

tool said:
I haven't completed my interviews yet but am curious how others would rate these Texas programs: Scott & White, UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, UTMB (Galveston), Texas Tech - Lubbock

Would most people just rank based on location?

I interviewed at UTMB last week and found it to be a very positive experience--residents are happy, they are competent, fellowship placement is good, and comraderie is fantastic. I would rank it first out of that list. After that...I hear that UT-Houston is pretty good, but they were on probation just a few years ago. UTSA gives pretty solid clinical training and they have the RAHC in Harlingen. There are a couple of reviews about Scott & White on Scutwork with conflicting advice--might want to check them out for perspectives. And as for Tech, while it is in Lubbock, I hear that it's not bad (from med school friends I have that went there).

I wouldn't rank just based on location--as you visit definitely talk to the residents and get an idea of how they like the program. All I can talk about at this point is UTMB and I thought that it was stellar.

Any other thoughts on the question?

DS

DoctorSax said:
I interviewed at UTMB last week and found it to be a very positive experience--residents are happy, they are competent, fellowship placement is good, and comraderie is fantastic. I would rank it first out of that list. After that...I hear that UT-Houston is pretty good, but they were on probation just a few years ago. UTSA gives pretty solid clinical training and they have the RAHC in Harlingen. There are a couple of reviews about Scott & White on Scutwork with conflicting advice--might want to check them out for perspectives. And as for Tech, while it is in Lubbock, I hear that it's not bad (from med school friends I have that went there).

I wouldn't rank just based on location--as you visit definitely talk to the residents and get an idea of how they like the program. All I can talk about at this point is UTMB and I thought that it was stellar.

Any other thoughts on the question?

DS

Any thoughts on med-peds at Baylor? or IM?

Members don't see this ad :)
yobabydoc said:
I think the peds program at Baylor through Texas Children Hospital is considered to be in the top 10 programs in the nation. When I interviewed at Baylor, on the drive into the medical center the Children's Hospital had quite a presence in the medical center. For IM, I felt UTSW was a better fit for me because I liked Parkland a little more than Ben Taub. I think fellowship placement was roughly equivalent between the two programs and the cost of living in Houston and Dallas were also similar.

yobabydoc said:

Med-Peds at Baylor is supposed to be one of the best programs because of the individual strength of both programs. TCH is phenomenal and both programs have good reputations, excellent training, but they do both involve quite a bit of hard work. Don't let the shiny happy people at TCH fool you, it's a busy exhausting place.

Baylor IM and Baylor peds are both hard work, and I think that the residents in both programs, or med-peds, will tell you that. The trade-off is that you learn a TON, you see basically everything from developing world/tropical medicine (dx'ing Chagas, malaria, etc. on an annual basis) and lots of bread and butter. Teaching is great too. Additionally, the peds program really takes excellent care of their residents -- its hard, but they try to look out for you. I think this extends to the med-peds people to a certain extent.

Anyone have an opinion between Baylor vs. UTSW in terms of resident work, clinical exposure, residency placement, diversity in pt population/pathology, or teaching? Thanks.

quidnunc said:
Anyone have an opinion between Baylor vs. UTSW in terms of resident work, clinical exposure, residency placement, diversity in pt population/pathology, or teaching? Thanks.

I interviewed at both programs and felt both programs had strong devotion to the underserved, particularly undocumented workers so medical spanish would be quite useful (or necessary according to some). I got a chance to look at the patient lists of interns and the pathology seemed quite diverse (I don't want to make a HIPAA violation). Both programs emphasized resident independence, maybe a little more private attendings at Southwestern. The residents at both institutions also seemed comparable in fellowship placement particularly cards and GI programs in the South. The Texas Medical Center is very large compared to the Dallas Medical Center and Houston VA is the biggest VA I have seen. There is not a emergency medicine training program at Baylor, so their residents are pretty comfortable with running the ER at Ben Taub with the surgical residents. I thought the ancillary services were better at Parkland (nursing, computer services, translators) compared to Ben Taub. I don't think you can wrong at either institution.

Interesting how this thread has become the UTSW and Baylor discussion when neither program was mentioned in the initial post....

Well, yobabydoc sort of hijacked your thread. Plus, it seemed DoctorSax gave a pretty good firsthand account. Besides. Are there any other programs? j/k. I'm interviewing at several of those myself.

tool said:
Interesting how this thread has become the UTSW and Baylor discussion when neither program was mentioned in the initial post....

Any info on the quality of UT San Antonio's program/competitiveness for fellowship?