Raven Coloured Progressive Matrices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KKrak002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background: I am a child psychologist, so I do not do much testing with adults. I also have very little adult neuropsych experience, apart from grad school.

A social work colleague had been given a psych report for one of their clients (age in 40s, only elementary school education) and asked my help in understanding it. There are things that stand out to me in the report (using IQ to find an age equivalent, eg. FSIQ 62= 7 year old functioning). However, my main question is in regards to the Raven, as I have no experience with this measure. This particular client is a relatively recent immigrant from the middle east and while can speak English, it is not the first language. The Raven was used to confirm that the scores obtained on the WAIS-IV were valid, as the CPM and WAIS scores were similar. My questions is whether this is the appropriate use for the Raven, and whether the norms for the Raven would be appropriate in terms of normative data for this client. This eval will be used to determine available social services for the client, so making sure the scores are valid is very important.

Any feedback or direction to resources or research on the topic will be greatly appreciated. I want to know what I am talking about so that I can help my colleague advocate for this client.

Members don't see this ad.

Have them check the AACN directory of boarded individuals in their area Directory for a quick consult. Also, no one calculates "mental age" anymore. It's inaccurate and generally less than helpful in pretty much any circumstance. If you see that used in an adult neuropsych report, you should immediately take that person off your referral list.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be a little clearer, I am really just looking for resources about the CPM to make a case that the report be redone by a boarded neuro-psychologist. There are a number of glaring mistakes other than the mental age, so I already know that the report should not be used in any capacity (all the tests used I ma very familiar with except the CPM). However, I want to have a better understanding for my own knowledge about using measures such as the CPM for cultural diversity. My agency does not see adults, but I often have adult evals come across my desk. In many cases they are well written enough that I can read it and understand the rationale for things, but that is not always the case. I can consult with a neuropsych in my area, but i also just want to educate myself on the test so that I can be a better consumer of adults testing.

The CPM is ok, it's a, relative to other IQ tests, "culturally appropriate" rough measure of IQ. It's definitely not free of cultural bias as there is plenty of data that shows effects of education, SES, and ethnicity affects scores, just not to the same extent as say the full Wechsler. It's just starting to get quite a bit dated at the moment. I'd prefer the TONI at the moment if I just need a quick and dirty rough estimate, personally. But, they are, at their hearts, the same test, just different norm sets.