'11

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status
I'm just curious how many people did actually use kaplan road map and got a fairly good RC score and recommend it to the other SDNer's
;)

prez_al

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Good god, I got 18 with the road map method, but 22 just answering as I go. I wouldn't really recommend it as the approach wastes precious time.

MoobDDS

10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
[QUOTE='11]I'm just curious how many people did actually use kaplan road map and got a fairly good RC score and recommend it to the other SDNer's
;)[/QUOTE]

definately recommend it. I used Kaplan's roadmap and got a 21 (& english is my 2nd language). I still wonder how I got that score sometimes. I felt so horrible throughout the whole RC, but I guess the roadmap really did help me out. Just do it.

About the Ads

NDdental

10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't use it. I did and got an 18. The only blemish on my DAT.

OP

'11

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status
i guess you had bunch of non science passages, true?
NDdental said:
Don't use it. I did and got an 18. The only blemish on my DAT.

OP

'11

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status
and if you don't map then how do you know what is where? skimming? doesnt work all the time thu
allstardentist said:
just practice answering the questions without reading. I get 18-25 on RC on practice tests.

thehipster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Status
Dental Student
I just went straight to the questions and searched for the answers. This works for most of the questions. By the time you've answered those, you know the passage and can answer the opinion questions.

SFPredent

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
San Francisco
Status
Pre-Dental
I just took basic notes on each paragraph aka subject and key weird words and years, etc, and I got a 24 with 15 minutes to check my work.

You

Carpe Diem!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
The OC, CA
Status
prez_al said:
Good god, I got 18 with the road map method, but 22 just answering as I go. I wouldn't really recommend it as the approach wastes precious time.
Road map takes too much time.
Keyword searching seems better, but I'm still 10 - 15 min over and getting about 15-16. How do you guys do it?
Read 1st sentence of each paragraph, then keyword search? Do you read all the choices before kw searching?

Rook

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
You said:
Road map takes too much time.
Keyword searching seems better, but I'm still 10 - 15 min over and getting about 15-16. How do you guys do it?
Read 1st sentence of each paragraph, then keyword search? Do you read all the choices before kw searching?
i did not use the road map and got a 21 on RC

However, as a newly trained kaplan instructor who is now familiar with exactly how to use it..i wish i had used it...i would have easily scored higher.

It is an amazing method. Very effective. People that say it slows them down..they just need to practice it...many many many times..once u develop ur speed..you'll be getting perfect scores on RC with this method...best of luck!!

jorUW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Seattle
Status
Dental Student
:thumbdown: I used it and got a 19, my lowest score. It took way too long IMO. I guess if you practice it a lot then you might be fine. Personally, my articles were 3 or 4 paragraphs longer than anything i saw with Kaplan and I also had an article that was so dense with what Kaplan would have considered vital info to put in your road map that it f'd with my mojo. :thumbdown:

OSUDDS

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Podiatry Student
i scanned and got a 21

UtahDad

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I tried Kaplan's method again and again and continued to run out of time every time I tried. On the real DAT, I used their method (because I still hadn't found a way that worked for me). I was happy that on the actual test, I had enough time to read the article and think about almost every question. I did run out of time in the end, but did way better than I thought I would do!! Good luck!!

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I just read the question and searched the passage, finished the section with 25 mintues to spare and got a 27.

Good luck ;)

wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
scanned and got a 26 with some time to spare... someone said this before, but definately do word find puzzles. i did those all the time as a kid and i guess it really came in handy finally :idea:

ddfafari

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
TX
Status
Pre-Dental
Rook said:
...However, as a newly trained kaplan instructor who is now familiar with exactly how to use it..i wish i had used it...i would have easily scored higher.
Gee, why would they want YOU as a Kaplan instructor? Its not like you scored a 29 in your sciences? OH... WAIT.... YOU DID :p

About the Ads