RC: Search & Destroy Method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading many threads on how to improve RC which is one of my weakest part in the DAT. Many ppl mentioned that the Search & Destroy Method is much better than the Kaplan strategy. What exactly is this?

I tried skimming each paragraph & looking for key words (Kaplan strategy) but have been running out of time to answer questions!

Any responses will be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Search and destroy is basically read the question and then search for it in the paragraph. Me too, my reading was one of my weaker points but I tried a different approach. I wrote down keywords from each question and then I looked for it in the story. Hope that helps, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Search and destroy is basically read the question and then search for it in the paragraph. Me too, my reading was one of my weaker points but I tried a different approach. I wrote down keywords from each question and then I looked for it in the story. Hope that helps, good luck!

i did this too; worked amazingly:p

I like using the search and destroy method as well, I just read the question and then skim through the article until I find the answer. This doesn't help for tone/inference questions though, any advice on how to deal with those?

Members don't see this ad :)
Search and destroy works because....

1) You read the passage as you are simultaneously answering questions

2) You can always mark inference based questions and come back after you get a better feel for the passage

The search and destroy method got me a 20; not great by I'm ok with it.

Not to make excuses, but I found the PAT hard and knew I missed some questions...this was in the back of my mind and also, I was starting to lose some stamina as I got to the RC section.

Search and destroy is the best strategy given the time constraint.

Interesting strat, lemme see if I'm interpreting it right. You read ALL the questions and write down keywords from each one (minus the tone questions I'm guessing) then read the entire passage but everytime you hit a keyword you answer the question? I think I might try this out, the only problem I can see with it is you might end up skipping some keywords while reading as you have so many too keep in mind. How'd you deal with that?

For those of you who have already taken the DAT, does the RC section let you simultaneously look at the question while reading the passage?? That would make things easier rather than flipping through screens...

For those of you who have already taken the DAT, does the RC section let you simultaneously look at the question while reading the passage?? That would make things easier rather than flipping through screens...

yes

you can look at all the problems? or just one at a time? while looking for the answer in the passage

you can look at all the problems? or just one at a time? while looking for the answer in the passage

I took the DAT just today, and scored a 26 on RC (98.5th pct). I found the best way to do RC is to read each and briefly outline each passage. Not a long outline, but, because each paragraph is numbered, write a few bullets and key words for each paragraph. Do this as you read the passage.

When you're doing the questions and they ask about a term, look for that term in your outline, then find that paragraph. Much faster than scanning the passage for each question. Many of my questions were straight out of the text, and the few inference-based questions were very straightforward. Plus, if you read the passage straight through, you'll get a much better feel for the inference questions than if you read it piecemeal.

Try this with a few practice passages! Before I tried this, I barely had any time to do the questions. I wound up finishing today with enough time to look over and confirm each answer.

From taking the DAT last year and receiving a 16 by trying to do the search method. I found that I did not grasp the reading and was looking frantically for questions being asked in the text.

This year I have been practicing and accepted that I need to read the whole passage while writing down a brief summary ( a sentence) and keywords from each paragraph.

I have done kaplan reading and two test from crack rc and have been averaging
19-20.

I know my weaknesses and have accepted I'm not very good with timed reading. So far I feel more confident in this section now, but everyone is different.

ooh wow thanks!

can you guys outline the types of RC q's likely to be found?

1. inference
2. any definitions?
3. suggestions for a last sentence of a paragraph
4. etc..

I took the DAT just today, and scored a 26 on RC (98.5th pct). I found the best way to do RC is to read each and briefly outline each passage. Not a long outline, but, because each paragraph is numbered, write a few bullets and key words for each paragraph. Do this as you read the passage.

When you're doing the questions and they ask about a term, look for that term in your outline, then find that paragraph. Much faster than scanning the passage for each question. Many of my questions were straight out of the text, and the few inference-based questions were very straightforward. Plus, if you read the passage straight through, you'll get a much better feel for the inference questions than if you read it piecemeal.

Try this with a few practice passages! Before I tried this, I barely had any time to do the questions. I wound up finishing today with enough time to look over and confirm each answer.

Barron DAT Method!
Did this and got 24 (94.5 percentile).

I used this exact method. I wrote keywords, names, years, and numbers in my outline by paragraph. Scored a 23. I've never tried search and destroy but I feel like it would've stressed me out.

Kaplan strategy, which is to summarize each paragraph with a sentence or two, focusing on key words and themes, only works if there was enough time.

But since you only have 20 minutes per passage there's no way you can effectively execute it IMO.