rc section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothFairy423

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys

on the real dat, do most of you guys finish the reading section? or do you have to guess on a few at the end? i am barely finishing topscore, and if the real one is harder, i might have to end up guessing

let me know!
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ToothFairy423 said:
hi guys

on the real dat, do most of you guys finish the reading section? or do you have to guess on a few at the end? i am barely finishing topscore, and if the real one is harder, i might have to end up guessing

let me know!
thanks

I finished with about 10 minutes left but I was very fortunate with my passages. One was on the stock market so I just skimmed the passage and didn't have to refer back to it at all. The other two were on the autonomic nervious system and oncogenes and the role of viruses in cancer. I have been an oncology nurse for the past 9 years so while I didn't always outright know the answers all of the wording and vocabulary was at least familiar to me. During all of my practice tests though I was always really rushed at the end if not having to guess on the last couple of questions. So to make a long story short, it all depends on the passages. By the way, I scored a 27 on RC.

I finished. When i trained for it the key was spending no more than 4 minutes reading each passage. DO NOT read to understand. READ to locate info later and get the main idea, nothing more. On the DAT this is especially important becase there a not a lot of inference questions, most answers are clearly printed almost word for word in the text so in order to score best read quickly :)

Also practicing reading highly technical information that bogs you down is great practice. I used the journal of dental research and read 1-2 articles per day for pure speed training. I can't say i got a 30 on this section but i was pretty happy with my 22 :).

DrTacoElf said:
DO NOT read to understand. READ to locate info later and get the main idea, nothing more.
Also practicing reading highly technical information that bogs you down is great practice. I used the journal of dental research and read 1-2 articles per day for pure speed training. I can't say i got a 30 on this section but i was pretty happy with my 22 :).

I definitely agree with Drtacoelf on the reading to locate approach, not really to understad, although you can't just help it but to understand a few concepts here and there. Great approach, it worked very well for me.

If anyone is interested, I have a huge collection of science magazines I bought from my local library. They are older, but what counts is that you read the contents, not how recent the materials are. Let me know if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this weirdest passage on RC about stock market with lotta datas and calculations. I was pretty shocked about that. Be prepared for non science passages. That passage took up most of the time so for the last passage I had only five minutes so I had answer all the questions of that passage based on what i know about brain since it was all about brain.

FreeTibet said:
I had this weirdest passage on RC about stock market with lotta datas and calculations. I was pretty shocked about that. Be prepared for non science passages. That passage took up most of the time so for the last passage I had only five minutes so I had answer all the questions of that passage based on what i know about brain since it was all about brain.

I had that passage too! I found my RC section over-all to be less challenging than I expected it to be. I think that most people find that they spent more time focusing on RC than QR. This is a big mistake in my opinion. I found the QR section to be much harder than I ever expected it to be. If I were you, I would focus on QR.