m617911622

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
My test is coming up in 3 weeks. I am really worried about RC, i keep getting 16 on DBC. Is there any method/ shortcut to improve.
(*My first language is not English).

tccheng91

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I struggled with RC a lot too. You still have three weeks to figure out what methods work best for you. You should try different methods on the practice tests and see which one you feel the most comfortable. Then stick to it. And know your weaknesses and then figure out strategies to improve. For instance, if you read the passages too fast and seemed to not understand anything, then you should slow down a bit. Hope this will help.

OP
M

m617911622

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I struggled with RC a lot too. You still have three weeks to figure out what methods work best for you. You should try different methods on the practice tests and see which one you feel the most comfortable. Then stick to it. And know your weaknesses and then figure out strategies to improve. For instance, if you read the passages too fast and seemed to not understand anything, then you should slow down a bit. Hope this will help.
I tried S&D, it is so stressful. I sometime got lost in the paragraphs. What method are you working on ?

tccheng91

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Similar to S&D. But I did not read the passages first. I would look through all the questions first and write down the key words from the question stems. I then go back to read the passage and after reading each paragraph, I would go back to the key word list I created. If there is anything that matches the content of the paragraph, I would answer that question right away and move on.

Reactions: m617911622

Don Kim

5+ Year Member
May 11, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi, I am on the same boat, I am stuck around 19-20 for RC. My other sections are solid, except my RC. My issue is I always run out of time, so I end up rushing towards the last passage. I tried search and destroy, it works well only if I had more time. I am currently just doing a simple straight forward read the passage quickly as I can, map each paragraphs by writing down key words. I think it helps to read faster if you place your finger on the lines and your eyes follow your finger quickly. It still is hard, but this is the method that worked for me better than other methods at least. I would get a a few questions wrong on the first two passages, and completely bomb the last one. So I need to work on being pacey. I would suggest just doing as many practice as you can. Maybe 1 RC practice exam per day. (Make sure to read the passages again after you are done with each exam, and you fully understand it) And during spare time read one or two articles each day. Just build momentum. Thats what I plan to do for the week (I take it next week)

Reactions: m617911622