RCSI accommodation: Mercer/Millin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cortisone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to apply for accommodation in Mercer Court, and was wondering which accommodation would be preferable (perhaps from experience): Mercer or Millin House?
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Millin is a little nicer, but take a look at some of my other posts for my general opinion. Neither of them are ideal and IMO both are an utter rip off.

Which is better in terms of atmosphere, location and facilities? I'm thinking of staying at one of these residences simply because it's supposed to be near/on campus... which... may be easier for the first year, considering I'm coming in to this for the first time. How do rooming/roomate arrangement work? Also, what were your experiences of living in any one of these places?

I only have the experience of living away from home as I'm just finishing up my first year of university in Ontario but I'd love to hear any tips and feedback on how you adjusted to accommodation in Dublin.

thanks for all the help! I really really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Which is better in terms of atmosphere, location and facilities? I'm thinking of staying at one of these residences simply because it's supposed to be near/on campus... which... may be easier for the first year, considering I'm coming in to this for the first time. How do rooming/roomate arrangement work? Also, what were your experiences of living in any one of these places?

I only have the experience of living away from home as I'm just finishing up my first year of university in Ontario but I'd love to hear any tips and feedback on how you adjusted to accommodation in Dublin.

thanks for all the help! I really really appreciate it!

I've written extensively about finding accomodation in Dublin in other posts which can be found in my posting history.

I lived in Mercer for a few months at the end of first year as a protemp solution to my other housing situation ending a bit prematurely. Just to answer a few of your questions directly:

1)location: Mecer and Millin are in the same place, and both open onto a courtyard just outside the college library. There are many private appartments that are just as close to college.

2)flatmates: Each unit is 4-5 ensuite rooms(some of which will be doubles) with a shared sparsely equiped kitchenette/ living room. Each room has a television and there is wireless internet on the college network (skype and MSN frequently have issues). The management tends to room people from the same country together. Other than that if you don't make any requests its random.

3) The atmosphere is alright, but it really depends on the people in your unit. When I lived there it was certainly NOT a hub of social activity; but that varies from year to year.

Some other points to consider: the buildings are fitted to what I'd call an average 1970s college residence, i.e cinder block walls and block furniture somewhat worse for wear. The photos on their website are, at very least, idealized. The other point that I make time and time again is that they are not a good value for your money, at this point they are double if not treble the cost of similar shared arrangements nearby. Put in a bit more effort planning and I'd say you'd be much happier somewhere nearby.