RCSI decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got a rejection letter from RCSI today. Interviewed earlier this month for a spot in their grad-entry program. Kind of a kick to the crotch b/c I thought the interview went really well. Ah well, hopefully the other schools come through.

My stats:
GPA = 3.4
MCAT = 33P

Good luck to everyone else that interviewed!

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, that sucks. I just got my acceptance letter from RSCI today, though from briefly browsing this forum, I'm having more than second thoughts - I'm having at least fifth or sixth thoughts. Does anyone have anything positive to say about the school? Anyone? Bueller?

I got accepted into the four year program, with an MCAT score of 35R and a less-than impressive GPA (3.0 - 3.3 - somewhere in there, depending on how it's calculated). I'm definitely feeling like I fit into the "rich and dumb" category, if the four year program is geared towards those who can't make it anywhere else....

Is it really worth it to miss the deposit deadline (6,500 euros by March 17th)? I'm strongly inclined to do so if I have a possibility of getting in elsewhere, but that's the question - can I get in to any of the other Irish schools? And if I can, are they also offering four year programs? Because if they aren't, the difference in cost between four years at RSCI and five years at any of the other schools works in favour of RSCI.

Yeah, it's hard to be confident of choosing to go to RCSI in view of the many negative posts about the place here. I had a hard time deciding whether or not to attend RCSI as compared to the other schools, and decided to find out more about the place from current and former students. I did e-mail an alumnus of RCSI, Dr Graham McMahon, who now teaches at Harvard Medical School. His website is http://www.internationaldoc.com. This is what he said to me (it did help me choose):-

Be careful about having any student make comparisons between medical schools since their own experience is necessarily limited to just one school.

I had a tremendous experience at RCSI and don't think I could have had a
better medical education anywhere. There is careful dedicated and personalized teaching throughout the program, with early exposure to patients. Frequent assessments mean that you stay on top of the curriculum throughout. From what I hear from my colleagues back in Dublin, RCSI's
biggest teaching hospital - Beaumont - has become the premier place for
post-graduate training in Ireland too - and those programs are lead by RCSI teachers. By attracting the best junior doctors, the students benefit from that teaching. The facilities are absolutely up to date and excellent. Wonderful computer labs, library, lecture halls, and even simulation suites.

I was recruited heavily here in the US as a
graduate of RCSI. It seems to me to have a superb reputation here in the US and around the globe. There are quite a few RCSI graduates here at Harvard, but I don't know any from UCD.

If you think you'll be competitive for a place,
then I would certainly apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess, then, that my next question is whether or not anyone has heard from UCD, UCC, or Trinity. I know that there was one person on another site, but that's one person. I have to admit, RSCI seems like it might be my only option, but if I can do the same thing for a little bit less money, it's what I'm going to do.

porkchop said:
Yeah, it's hard to be confident of choosing to go to RCSI in view of the many negative posts about the place here. I had a hard time deciding whether or not to attend RCSI as compared to the other schools, and decided to find out more about the place from current and former students. I did e-mail an alumnus of RCSI, Dr Graham McMahon, who now teaches at Harvard Medical School. His website is http://www.internationaldoc.com. This is what he said to me (it did help me choose):-

Be careful about having any student make comparisons between medical schools since their own experience is necessarily limited to just one school.

I had a tremendous experience at RCSI and don't think I could have had a
better medical education anywhere. There is careful dedicated and personalized teaching throughout the program, with early exposure to patients. Frequent assessments mean that you stay on top of the curriculum throughout. From what I hear from my colleagues back in Dublin, RCSI's
biggest teaching hospital - Beaumont - has become the premier place for
post-graduate training in Ireland too - and those programs are lead by RCSI teachers. By attracting the best junior doctors, the students benefit from that teaching. The facilities are absolutely up to date and excellent. Wonderful computer labs, library, lecture halls, and even simulation suites.

I was recruited heavily here in the US as a
graduate of RCSI. It seems to me to have a superb reputation here in the US and around the globe. There are quite a few RCSI graduates here at Harvard, but I don't know any from UCD.

If you think you'll be competitive for a place,
then I would certainly apply.

Hmmm... I can't say I know any UCD graduates myself there at the moment, but there's been quite a substantial UCD connection to Harvard in the past. My PI in pharmacology did his postdoc at Harvard, and look at Hugh Brady, President of UCD.

http://www.ucd.ie/president/biography.htm

3rd paragraph. 9 years at Harvard before returning to UCD, rising to Associate Professor of Medicine. How many former RCSI graduates have been professors at Harvard? Sorry, couldn't resist the shameless plugging of my old university! :D

I would be surprised if there weren't a few hiding away somewhere at the moment.

Just got an email from Mr. Keenan, RCSI (as you know) and UCD have sent letters (acceptance/rejection/waitlist), so should be getting something from UCD soon. Having said that, I haven't received anything from either.

RCSI grad here - matched into my first choice at a great program.

I wouldnt say that im here b/c of RCSI only - I worked really hard for this but i would say that i dont regret going to RCSI at all. It was expensive, and often disorganized and often frustrating but I guess this didnt bother me that much. I got a very good education, there is still name recognition to the irish schools (deserved or otherwise), the irish network in the US and canada is very pervasive and while I dont think ive had to use it I think it def. got me some interviews. I had a really great time in Dublin and made many friends - american, irish and otherwise who Im in contact with regularly. when i applied to go to Ireland i didnt really have the luxury or choosing between top tier american schools. I'm very glad i went to ireland and not the carribean. That would not have suited me at all (my personal thoughts - im not trying to start an argument). As for the other irish schools? not sure, i think they are fine but i think RCSI worked well for me. No regrets whatsoever.

Jocks said:
Hey everyone,

I just got a rejection letter from RCSI today.

My stats:
GPA = 3.4
MCAT = 33P

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Your stats seem fine. Aren't overall US school admission averages something like 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT??? Did you try applying to US? Are standards much higher for Canadian students applying to US?

Surely, failing this, you are a prize pick for carib. schools (SGU/Ross etc.)?

Hi there,

I've been locked onto the waitlist at RCSI. I'm a bit curious if anyone out there has been following these forums for a while, and know of anyone on waitlists actually getting in? Obviously all it takes is people to turn down offers or go elsewhere, but I wonder if it's common or rare for the waitlist to be tapped.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. (I figured I'd ask people on this forum instead of hassling the AB people with the cliched queries of an anxious meds application.)

Cheers y'all.

Slam Master J said:
Hi there,

I've been locked onto the waitlist at RCSI. I'm a bit curious if anyone out there has been following these forums for a while, and know of anyone on waitlists actually getting in? Obviously all it takes is people to turn down offers or go elsewhere, but I wonder if it's common or rare for the waitlist to be tapped.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. (I figured I'd ask people on this forum instead of hassling the AB people with the cliched queries of an anxious meds application.)

Cheers y'all.

Hey Slam Master,

I talked with Peter Nealon a week ago, and he said that only a couple of waitlist offers were sent out. So there really doesn't need to be that much movement for you to get in. Good Luck!

Cheers,
Jocks

Hey Jocks,

That's some sexy news. Thanks a bunch.

Hi everyone,

I just had to post after reading some of the comments floating around about RCSI. I am only in my second semester here, and can only offer my opinions based on what I've experienced as a 1st med student.

First off, I think someone posted a question awhile back concering the curriculum here and what it's like. This year with our class, they began a systems-based modularised system. For those of you who don't know, it means that you study the body in systems such as cardiovascular, endocrine, etc. and learn the relevant material in each subject (anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, some pharm, etc.) that pertains to that system. Technically we are the guinea pigs but it seems to be working out thus far.

About the students here, I would say most of the people in my year are all incredibly bright students. The Irish kids who took their leaving certs had to score very high (average was 580/600 for RCSI last year I believe) to earn a spot here. It's difficult to believe sometimes that they are only about 18 years old and learning along side us college grads but let me tell you they are sharp people. The same can be said for the Irish and North American college grads who like me, attended college and obtained degrees before matriculating here. However, there are a few bad apples in every group who sometimes make you wonder how they got into medical school!

Now, onto my reflections about the education I've received. The anatomy instruction is unbelievabe, it is definitely one of the school's strengths. Every week for dissection, a pair of tables is given a former surgeon (or anatomy lecturer/professor) and they instruct you. They are an incredible resource given their experience. Oh, and anatomy lab here isn't so much student dissection as it is prosection and instructor dissection. Some people prefer this and some do not like it. I personally like it because the prosections are so much nicer to look at and the structures are distinguishable, plus these former surgeons know how to slice and dice. Others disagree and prefer to dissect themselves because they are interested in surgery and/or learn better doing it on their own. The clinical skills instruction is also very good. The class in broken-up into groups of about 12 and a physician instructs and guides us with history taking, palpation, and we've started some auscultation. But the quality of this instruction also depends largely on what physician your group gets! I've been pleased so far, maybe others not so much. As far as the normal lectures go for classes like physiology, they really depend on who is lecturing. I think the instruction in those areas is pretty standard from place to place. I will say that there is some attention paid to USMLE content and subject matter. The other day the Vice Dean was lecturing, and she told us that she was flipping through a USMLE question book and encountered a question on a particular physiological test used to check circulation in a patient. She added the information to her lecture because it was covered in that book, although it was a test she says she has never used or seen used in clinical practice. So they are paying some attention to USMLE topics.

Now, onto the weaknesses...

The embryology and histology are not quite what I would like them to be. Embryology is taught intermittently throughout the semester. It wasn't really emphasized on last semester's exams, anyway. It was more like you could get more points for throwing it in to the written responses but wasn't absolutely essential to know. Same goes for histology. Except we've been told that there will be some sort of histology practical at the end of this semester that will test all of the histology we have learned this year. The histology course is completely online as well, so you do it on your own time. These are topics on the USMLE so I'd like to see them given more time and emphasis.

Now onto my general impressions of the school, fees, etc. Thus far I think the administration is genuinely interested in improving the quality of education and evolving to a more technological delivery. For example, one professor in our health, behaviour and society module told us at the beginning of the year that the school assembled some sort of improvement task force that included physicians and deans from the US. They came up with some recommendations for the school that they are now trying to implement. Our lectures and information are posted on a computerized system (the Virtual Learning Environment) where you can post comments related to classes (or otherwise, sometimes people post random jokes or things for sale) and it is the general hub for communication and information. At the end of our first semester and after we'd received our grades, the Dean sent out a form for us to submit and comment on our impressions of the exams, lectures, etc. to get our feedback and suggestions. What they will do with it remains to be seen, of course. I do think it is a healthy sign that they've asked for our input. Now about the high fees. Yes, they hurt. Where does all that money go? Not completely sure. The new pharmacy building opened last year. They bought up some land right by the school and the old building there is being demolished as I type this and will eventually become the new student rec center, labs, and something else like lecture halls or housing. Not totally sure. I can tell you that land smack in the City Centre where the school is located isn't cheap. The school also purchased some new leather furniture for our basement area. During my interview last year for RCSI, one of the interviewers explained to me that the school is considered private and so does not receive the government funds that other Irish schools do. Do all of these factors explain where the money goes? Maybe not. I am satisfied though that I see enough happening and enough changes taking place that I can put some if it together on my own. Anyway, I chose to come here so it doesn't really get to me.

All in all I can say that I am happy with my decision to attend RCSI and medical school in Ireland, generally speaking. It seems the education at all Irish medical schools seems to be about on the same level and quality. I don't know how my disposition toward the school will change, if at all, once I hit the clinical years. Right now, my image of the school and education is a positive one.

:luck: I hope it stays that way because there are 4 1/2 years to go! :luck:

Gee thanks Loraine! Re: the weaknesses in certain subjects, it's more a european thing. They don't emphasize histology, embryology, biochemistry, neuroscience or cell bio as heavily as they do in the US and the USMLES so it does require a significant amount of self-study. It seems to be a european thing in the way the med ed systems are run.

wow jocks

sorry. You are clearly a competitive applicant.

So it is true that the schools we apply to in IR will send rejection letter as well as waitlist and acceptance. good.

Mike MacKinnon said:
wow jocks

sorry. You are clearly a competitive applicant.

So it is true that the schools we apply to in IR will send rejection letter as well as waitlist and acceptance. good.

Absolutely. The year I applied I got a rejection from UCD and Trinity in February or early March, and had pretty much given up on getting in anywhere when I got my acceptance from UCC in late April (6 days before I was due to move into a house that I was sharing with a friend, which made the whole move pointless, but I still had to do it as my flat was already rented and I was committed). UCC seems to be the slowest in getting the acceptances out there, but also seems to be the one that looks most at the whole person - I got in because I "looked interesting" on paper, not because my academics were fabulous (3.56 GPA, 28S MCAT). Good luck to all of you.
Cheers, Med2UCC