RCSI interview 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZoyaZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an interview this coming Saturday in Vancouver. I was told that there is a 50% chance of an offer after an interview. For some reason, it seems like most people get offers after interview... Does anyone know of people getting rejected?
Also, what types of questions are asked? I was looking around and it seems like the interview is a short (15-20 min) chat. Why med, why rcsi, how will you pay, example of teamwork are some of the questions I have seen. Has anyone else heard of any other questions being asked? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I had my interview in Toronto Monday. And all those questions were asked. Also, make sure you have questions for them as well. I wasn't expecting that at the end and so off the top of my head I said "Soo, how's Dublin?"....(Doh!). But ya don't be nervous too, I was and got a little incoherent lol. But they seemed impressed at my research and laughed at one of my jokes. Anyways, Prof Sreenan and Prof Johnson were really nice and I asked Mr Peter Nealon (the ABP guy) after my interview and he said I should hear back in 3 weeks with either a acceptance package or rejection letter. Goodluck!

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat. Just had my interview in NYC. I didn't have any question to ask at the end, kinda felt like an idiot because I had suspected they would ask that. :eek:

Anyways, should you be accepted, what are your plans for paying tuition? Have you guys looked into federal loans? I've heard some horror stories from RCSI students about how they weren't able to get enough $ to finish. Do you all have any concerns about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so strange to me because I am concerned that I had too many questions - seriously I probably asked 10 questions?

This leaves me confused as to how you could possibly have no questions, do you know things I don't know? are you really familiar with the school? and what are these horror stories you speak of?

My father has been saving money for my education for as long as I have been alive, he will support me on top of a loan (I will have to look into the details on that.)
Also about my questions debacle, I had a bunch regarding the amount of extracurriculars available for med students (clubs sports etc), the duties invovled in the mandatory 1 month clinical rotation after the year is finished (I applied for the GEP program), the demographics of the entering year, their epidemiology and community medicine research program...some others too.
I was too nervous as this was my first med interview ever (shaking hands etc :s), If I could do my interview again I would...but what done is done, so I will have to wait 3 weeks to see the results.
Also was anybody asked about their Plan B if med did not work out? Kind of worried they asked that to me since the interview may not have gone well.
OK thanks.

Gotcha, that makes sense - nerves are rough and understandable.

I was also asked the question about a "plan B", however I think this is a pretty common question in medical school interviews so I would not worry about it (at least I'm not going to).

I withdrew my application last night as I received an acceptance from UEA. Although, RCSI has a great reputation and has been around for centuries, attending UEA will save me $250,000. Good luck to all on their interviews :)

@ Zoyaz, congrats on the acceptance! Just out of curiousity, how did you manage to get an interview at Vancouver? UEA sounds like a UK school if I am not mistaken, are you a Vancouver resident?

Hi, they were interviewng me in Vancouver because I reside in Alberta so it would have been far closer. Yeah, UEA is a UK school. It is fairly new (established ~2002) so it doesn't have the same name as RCSI. Yet, I figure coming from England would be similar to coming from Ireland as both countries are reputed for their medical standards. Where are you from and where have you applied?