RCSI-MUB entry 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docs87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Congrats all! Lets get a RCSI-mub acceptance thread together and possibly a fb page :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Did they send you a package ? Or did you call / email abp to find out I fear I'm not gonna make the cut =(

Just so we are clear, you know there is currently a revolution going on in Bahrain right now, right?

85 people have been killed thus far and thousands injured.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I'm so anxious. I really hope I get in...

Nvm when I got home a failed delivery attempt by fedex... Sooo happy

That sounds like a great idea! Let us know if one group is made

Congrats chicka! Are you in the 5 or 6 year program?

Does anyone have an idea about residence in Bahrain? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone looking for roomates?

I asked this question during my interview, although I didn't get as much of a detailed answer as I would like I was told that RSCI Bahrain does not have formal collaborations with Hopkins and Harvard etc. But it does have informal collaborations with hospitals in the US (although these hospitals weren't specified). He also said that they were working on this. Also looking at http://canstudentsofrcsi.wordpress.com/services-the-forum/ it seems that there is pretty much 0 chance of coming to Canada but US seems doable. Stills seems vague for me but I guess we might know when we get there? You get an apartment yet?

sorry member104 it seems that you were asking about living situations... lol but anyways that website does have some rental property contacts provided by the school

Last edited:
Didn't see your message. I will be entering the 6 year program. What about you??? I'm going to be sooo old when I'm finally done.

Im looking into accommodations too! Mostly likely need a roommate as well :

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you speak arabic in here?

I was wondering if it is a must in order to communicate with others since most people/patients will be speaking arabic.

I can only read arabic. i dont think its necessary as told during my interview. English is the main language at the hospitals. I will be learning a little arabic on my own though. If you know a secondary language like urdu,hindi etc ur golden.

Thanks docs87 :)

I think we should all get to know each other. Btw do you know about the facilities the school offer, like extracurriculars/sports and what not?

I can only read arabic. i dont think its necessary as told during my interview. English is the main language at the hospitals. I will be learning a little arabic on my own though. If you know a secondary language like urdu,hindi etc ur golden.

Hey i just want to encourage those who have been accepted to join our fb page, its nice to meet your colleagues.

Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself :) I'm a medical student at Rcsi Bahrain who has just completed the first year of the 6 year medical programme. If any new students have any questions regarding the course, country, accomodation etc. please dont hesistate to drop in a message. I understand how you guys must be feeling, since this time last year I was also considering coming to Bahrain all the way from Ireland! But trust me it was worth it.

Good luck:luck:

Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself :) I'm a medical student at Rcsi Bahrain who has just completed the first year of the 6 year medical programme. If any new students have any questions regarding the course, country, accomodation etc. please dont hesistate to drop in a message. I understand how you guys must be feeling, since this time last year I was also considering coming to Bahrain all the way from Ireland! But trust me it was worth it.

Good luck:luck:

Thanks for offering. I have a couple questions.

1. What is the status of NUI? Do you guys receive NUI certification or has it been abolished?

2. Textbooks? Do we need them? I've got a couple of the books on the booklist. Should I bring them? I found some books for $10, is it worth hauling them over?

3. Favourite/Least favourite Course? What was in your opinion the hardest course?

4. Anything to pack? (something you wished you had when you were there, but didn't)?

5. Anything wish you did differently? Anything to add???

6. How was orientation week? Your experience there? (from your tone it seems like you're looking forward to coming back?)

Thanks for offering. I have a couple questions.

1. What is the status of NUI? Do you guys receive NUI certification or has it been abolished?

2. Textbooks? Do we need them? I've got a couple of the books on the booklist. Should I bring them? I found some books for $10, is it worth hauling them over?

3. Favourite/Least favourite Course? What was in your opinion the hardest course?

4. Anything to pack? (something you wished you had when you were there, but didn't)?

5. Anything wish you did differently? Anything to add???

6. How was orientation week? Your experience there? (from your tone it seems like you're looking forward to coming back?)

Hey Chicka,

I would be glad to answer your questions:)

1. Yes, we will be receiving NUI degrees that will be recognised in Ireland. There have already been 3 cohorts of graduates all of whom have received NUI degrees, so I wouldn't worry about that. The degree title would be MB BCh BAO, LRCPI, LRCSI:)
I believe they have reversed the decision to abolish NUI but you will get the degree none the less.

2. With regards to textbooks, for Foundation Year you wouldn't really need them since most of the information will be included in the lectures. However for Foundation Year, they will recommend Biology books from Solomon and Chiras. I have purchased these books but I have yet to open them. Books here are expensive and if you can find them cheap where you are, books for JC1 such as Grey's Anatomy, Stanley and Monkhouse Clinical Anatomy (Master Medicine) and an Oxford Medical Dictionary would be useful. However you can find these books in the LRC (Learning Resources Centre). But make sure books don't take up too much of your luggage weight.

3. In Foundation Year, the first semester will include 6 modules and so will the the second semester. JC1/JC2 for the 5 year medical programme it's the same as well, the modules are listed here:
http://www.rcsi-mub.com/index.jsp?p=101&n=117

Personally I found Module 2 and 7 in foundation year the hardest because of the chemistry involved. However Foundation Year compared to Junior Cycle is easier but very useful none the less.
Junior Cycle which I will going into this year, consists of Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Psycology, Physiology, Pathology and Histology. This is alongside Early Patient contact which take place during the second semester. I suppose the most annoying part of the course would be Histology so I've heard.

4. Make sure you pack summer clothes because you will find that things do get pretty hot here. The worst months are during the summer; June, July and August but it will start to cool down from September onwards.

5. If I was to do anything differently,it would be to study what was in the lecture the day it was given and not to put off studying lectures to the very end since I was caught towards the end of the semster with a lot of material to cover. Exams in Foundation Year take place to the end of each semester as well as in JC1/JC2. However the difference between both years is that there is continous assesment throughout both semesters in Foundation Year compared to a single formative exam in each semester in JC1/JC2 before the final summative exam. Formatives usually start 6 weeks into each semester and would account for 5% of the total marks.

6. Orientation week is a great time to get to know as many people that will be in your year as possible. You will be assigned a Buddy who will look after you and show you the ropes, giving you a tour of the uni and answering questions you have about everything. You will also be given study skill seminars which will help you find which study style suits you best and applying those skills to taking notes during lectures. There will also be a tour of Bahrain.

I will be a Buddy during Orientation week so if you have anymore questions, I would be glad to answer them. My experience here has be great and I haven't regreted moving over here to study. I hope you`ll find it the same:)

Hi Guys,

I'm from Canada finishing my HBSc undergraduate degree this semester. I have got an online interview invite for the 5yr program, hopefully it goes well. Did anyone get any outcomes yet and any thought how to prep for the interview and how the questions were overall. Also how close are we to an acceptance, does getting an invite to online interview a good sign? Or are they just going to look at our application after the interview.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!