Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

RE: advice

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by msdent123, Dec 22, 2008.

1. msdent123

Hi everyone, I am new to this site, but after reading some of the posts and conversations it looks like this is a very helpful resource. A lot of knowledgable people. My question is about my DAT scores that I recently got. Here are the scores:

PA: 19
    QR: 17
    Bio: 19
    GChem: 21
    OChem: 23
    AA: 20
    TS: 21

College GPA: 4.0

I am wondering first if the QR section will hold me back? Do schools see and or care about the individual sections, or are they more interested in the finel AA and TS scores? I am a few years out of college, work 50 or so hours a week and would really prefer to not have to retake this exam if possible. Will I be competetive at some of the top schools with these scores? I just took the exam last week and clearly know less about this than most of you so appreciate any help that you can offer.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It really depends where you apply. However, your scores are solid and you have a really strong GPA. You should be just fine.

4. IdahoDoc

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your fine to apply don't worry about it. Solid scores

5. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Major things that determine how competitive you are: The school you got the 4.0 at, something that makes you stand out (not the usual 4k hours of shadowing).
    Also, if you are a URM (a minority). Do not reply to my post talking about URMs.

6. msdent123

I went to Hobart and William Smith Colleges in upstate New York, have worked the last two years in a medical research lab at Harvard and have published about four papers. I worry that I might stand out to much as someone that should be a medical school applicant and not dental. I do intend to spend the next year with a Dentist once a week, but it sounds like you don't think that means much? Any suggestions for something that might be more productive? Thanks for the help.

7. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ?? I don't understand what you mean in the bold part.

4 published papers are great, especially if you were very involved. The medical research will stand out, but if you seem like a regular dental (non-medical) applicant then I think you would be fine.
    Shadowing is not impressive because a lot of applicants have thousands of BS hours. IMO, adcoms like concrete applicants with high gpas, DAT, and in some cases research. Some schools will accept you for your research.
    I know your DAT score is high enough to get a shot at many top schools.

good luck

8. msdent123

Ok, I understand what you meant. Thanks for the advice.