Re-app essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onamission

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for you folks out there who were admitted to dental school on your SECOND try ....... How did you go about writing a new essay??

I've tried everything that I can think of and I still can't seem to come up with anything new. I can't resubmit my old one and if I just plagerize my own writing that will be obvious. I feel like I used up all my ideas on that first essay. The only thing that seems to come to mind is, "I want to be a f'ing dentist so just let me into your school already!". :mad:

Any ideas, methods or suggestions to create a new essay would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say take what you really liked about your first essay and change it around and bit.

Maybe use the same concept or unifying theme, but give it a new twist.

I'm working on mine (re-app.) too, and I know what you're going through. Someone told me to try to work into my essay how I've improved as an applicant. So...uhh yeah. I'm sorry I'm not much help, but if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, just PM me. Good luck!

HEy guys Im also a reapplicant. I wrote a totally new essay and I just focused on why I want to be a dentist. The way I see it, the other sections (extra curric, research, job etc) will update the schools on what youve been up to this past year. Just get the point across as to wyyou want to be a dentist and what makes you special. On a side note, what DID u guys do to improve your apps? I plan on retaking the DAT in a month or so and take more classes in the fall. I hope thats enough. Ok then KIT cuz all us reapplicant must help each other out!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, I was a reaplicant this year. My essay started out by saying....I have never failed at anything....but initially after not being accepted to dental school that is how I felt. However, this feeling did not last long, my competitive side emerged; I now saw my present situation as a challenge to overcome instead of a defeat. The next step was to determine how I could best improve my application from the previous cycle....ie. more school, retake DAT, hands on experience etc. After examining my options, I decided on hands on experience. I sent my resumes out and was hired full time as a dental assistant. It was hard to pay my bills on this salary and I had to work a second job, but in the end this sacrifice was worth it b/c I believed it would demonstrate my determination to be accepted/dedication to the dental field. Not only would it show the schools how hard I was willing to work, but it would also teach me vital skills that would help me once accepted. (and it did, it was great to have a year of in office training.)

Now you can tailor this to your current situation. Go on to explain how you have decided to improve your resume. That is what they are always looking for in reaps. Improvement. That is why I put it immediatly in front of the admissions board in my essay. There is little time to prove yourself in a 15-30 minute interview. We could skip right past the questions about what I had done over the year/why I had made that decision verses taking DAT or going to school or other options and go straight to what I had learned/my experiences in the office.

Good luck to all reaplicants in the next cycle. Don't ever give up on your dream b/c as I have found you are never truly a failure unless you don't try.

for all the info guys. I especially like your advice Munch22. Where did you get accepted?

Everyone else out there, please keep the ideas coming. I agree we re-apps need to help each other out!

I took two sentences out of my original essay and wrote an entire essay on that.
There are example of what others have done here.

Is it mandatory to rewrite the essay for the second applicant?

Is it mandatory to rewrite the essay for the second applicant?

..... you want to get accepted! Most schools state on their web site (or if you call them) that you should not resubmit the same essay. You need to show them what you've done to make yourself more competitive. Besides, if your essay didn't work the first time, why would you want to re-cycle it?

I dont think I'll be writing a new essay, my reasons for why I want to be a dentist and why I feel I'm qualified havent changed. I think that totally changing your essay is only helpful if you think your first one didnt let them know who you are and why you want to be a dentist. Its been less than a year since wrote my last one and nothing has changed as far as why I feel dentistry is for me. As far as why I'm a better applicant this year, that will be seen in other parts of the application. No use in being redundant.

This is all based on the point that the letter actually matters. I think that the letter is mostly there to screen people who can't write(or ask someone to edit). A good letter is a good letter, if it was good the first time, why change it?

I'm pretty sure that for the large majority, it wasnt our personal statements that kept us out last time.

When I rewrote mine, I started by rereading my first statement. After thinking about it for a while, I decided it wasn't how I felt going into the next cycle. I rewrote it. Both of them were deemed "good" my hand-selected advisors and drinking crew. At two of my interviews they actually told me they went out an acquired my old personal statement. What they did with them, or if they read them I will never know- they did skim at least one of them. I got in at both of those schools.

The folks at Temple said that my statement was what got me the interview. It tells the story of my academic turn around, my professional achievments and my road to dentistry.

I talked to Temple and my post bacc advisor about being waitlisted and reapplying. When it came to the essay, both said I should freshen it up (especialy the begining), not rewrite it. And to be honest there really are not many ways to tell the same story.

Thank God for dictionary.com and thesaurus.com!