Re-app, is it just my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomPreMed27

Reaction score
I applied to MD schools in the 2022-2023 cycle and after receiving no IIs, I'm gearing up to re-apply. I am a non-trad who spent a number of years after college outside of science and medicine before returning in 2019.

MCAT: 513 (127, 129, 129, 128) taken in Aug 2021
AMCAS GPAs:
sGPA 2.86
aoGPA 3.43
Total GPA 3.11

Volunteer and work experience
Clinical volunteering ~400 hrs
Private Childcare ~1200 hrs
Outdoor industry (as technical instructor and mountain guide) ~4800 hrs
Undergrad RA ~175 hrs
Research scientist and coordinator (non-clinical) ~4500 hrs
Research coordinator (strictly clinical work) ~1800 hrs

Research publications
First author of paper in JNO, first author of an abstract presented at national conference.
Co-author on multiple papers in: Nature, Cell, Science, Science Immunology, PLOS pathogens, VIRUSES, and a couple others.

A large part of my PS is talking about my experience with chronic illness which was a huge barrier to my success in college. In the last 4 years a new class of drugs was approved by the FDA and after starting them my life has immeasurably changed for the better.

Through my job at a major academic university I am able to take up to one class a quarter and so far have received a 4.0 in a 400 level science course. I plan to take a 400 level BCPM class each quarter until I reapply. However, I’m not sure if this will be enough to sway opinion in combination with my decent but not incredible MCAT score. Mainly, I’m worried my app is just not even being read due to the low GPA.

Since my last application I’ve:
  • Been co-author on a number of additional papers
  • Taking classes as noted above
  • Shadowed physicians
  • Was accepted at a volunteer organization (likely will not have a ton of hours from this but it works with a population I previously worked with in my job so it is a continuation in that sense.)
Do I need additional clinical experience or a clinical job for more community based programs? Would doing a post bac be necessary and if so, could I do something with relevance to the rest of my career instead of a special masters that basically covers the first year of med school? (Epi, cell molecular biology, etc). I did not apply DO this past cycle and am planning to when I re-apply.

Open to any and all advice, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to get that sGPA to a 3.0 if possible and this would probably take 30-40 credits of upper division sciences. See Goro’s guide to reinvention:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to get that sGPA to a 3.0 if possible and this would probably take 30-40 credits of upper division sciences. See Goro’s guide to reinvention:

Thank you, that was a helpful read. After doing a little calculating, it looks like I would be unable to raise my BCPM GPA above 3.0 before the 2023-2024 cycle if I do well in my courses and take my maximum number of classes allowed. Do you think it'd be worth applying this cycle if I'm not above a 3.0 BCPM gpa? or waiting another cycle to have above a 3.0?

Thank you, that was a helpful read. After doing a little calculating, it looks like I would be unable to raise my BCPM GPA above 3.0 before the 2023-2024 cycle if I do well in my courses and take my maximum number of classes allowed. Do you think it'd be worth applying this cycle if I'm not above a 3.0 BCPM gpa? or waiting another cycle to have above a 3.0?
How many science credits have you taken recently? If it is just the one and you are planning to take one class per quarter before the 2023 cycle, that won't be enough.

Did you go back to school in 2019 or start a research job at a university at the time? When did you go back to school, how many units have you taken, and what has your GPA been since?

How many science credits have you taken recently? If it is just the one and you are planning to take one class per quarter before the 2023 cycle, that won't be enough.
It has been just the one course (4 credits). If I continued to take courses for another year, I could take 3-6 credits per quarter until the 2024-25 cycle, and still work in research. But I'm not sure if it's worth continuing with a DIY post bac vs. doing an MPH or hard science masters.

Did you go back to school in 2019 or start a research job at a university at the time? When did you go back to school, how many units have you taken, and what has your GPA been since?
I started a clinical research job in 2019. In the fall of 2022 I started taking classes again while working, I've only taken one, 4-credit class so far and I got a 4.0.

Reactions: 1 user
If your story is you have one class you're getting an A in but your science GPA history is sub 3.. you'll be at it for several years taking high level classes to try to "reinvent yourself" with a new GPA.

Best advice is to find something adjacent to being a physician, as just getting to med school will now be an incredible task followed by.. medical school. I think for most, this is going to be fruitless.

I started a clinical research job in 2019. In the fall of 2022 I started taking classes again while working, I've only taken one, 4-credit class so far and I got a 4.0.
Ok. That makes it more clear. Could you afford paying for a second class? You're gonna need 30-45 semester units or 45-60 quarter units to reinvent yourself. You need a track record that says hey ignore that previous number, look who I am now. Your GPA doesn't have to be above 3.0, mine never got close and I'll be starting MD school in the fall. If you want to pursue this path, you can. Just might take sometime if you only do it part time, there aren't many shortcuts. Could look into post-baccs or SMPs that offer linkage/provisional acceptances, but that's leaving a job and taking on debt for not a sure thing.

It has been just the one course (4 credits). If I continued to take courses for another year, I could take 3-6 credits per quarter until the 2024-25 cycle, and still work in research. But I'm not sure if it's worth continuing with a DIY post bac vs. doing an MPH or hard science masters.
MPH wouldn’t help. An SMP is the only masters that would, but as mentioned above, it would require you to leave work and pay a good deal more upfront. It is also a program you must do well in. Otherwise, it will likely close the door to med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok. That makes it more clear. Could you afford paying for a second class? You're gonna need 30-45 semester units or 45-60 quarter units to reinvent yourself. You need a track record that says hey ignore that previous number, look who I am now. Your GPA doesn't have to be above 3.0, mine never got close and I'll be starting MD school in the fall. If you want to pursue this path, you can. Just might take sometime if you only do it part time, there aren't many shortcuts. Could look into post-baccs or SMPs that offer linkage/provisional acceptances, but that's leaving a job and taking on debt for not a sure thing.
I could take up to 6 credits each quarter for free as a state employee. With that limit, by the time I would apply in 2024 I would have 30-35 quarter units if I take roughly 5-6 credits per quarter. I think you've hit the issue right on the head, doing a post-bacc or SMP would put a larger body of work forward in applications, but would be expensive and higher risk.

MPH wouldn’t help. An SMP is the only masters that would, but as mentioned above, it would require you to leave work and pay a good deal more upfront. It is also a program you must do well in. Otherwise, it will likely close the door to med school.
Interesting, can you expand on why you think an MPH wouldn't help vs a SMP?

Interesting, can you expand on why you think an MPH wouldn't help vs a SMP?
It goes in the grad GPA column on AMCAS and won’t increase your sGPA. MPH programs are widely known as being less rigorous. It will not show that you can tackle challenging science courses, which is what your major issue is right now.

I highly suggest you enroll in a SMP. Given your MCAT is high enough, they won't make you take the MCAT again, but acing a SMP is your only reasonable shot at getting in. You dropped the ball in college. Prove to AdComs you can ace a SMP curriculum and they'll have faith enough to interview you. Taking a class here and there is not going to impress them.

Your clinical research job is not worth delaying med school. Go the SMP route starting this summer, and you might even get an interview during in the fall at your SMP's affiliated school. If not, apply in the Summer of 2024 for EY-2025. You will need to broadly apply to DO schools. I suggest reading the post in my signature for the pros-cons of doing a SMP (and in your case with a sub-3 GPA, overwhelming pro).

Edit: I wouldn’t even bother re-applying this cycle unless it’s solely at DO schools in your area. Your GPA is a non-starter for practically any MD and most DO schools.

The schools most interested in research are the ones that also value high stats.
You would require a sustained period of academic excellence in upper-div science classes to address your gpa (even if you never break 3.0).
Alternatively, you could choose an SMP with a history of success given your MCAT and gpa.
As noted, an MPH will have no effect.

Reactions: 1 users
One thing that is often mentioned in these threads (and a lesson I learned the hard way) is that each year you delay starting med school--voluntarily or not--you delay a year of salary as an attending physician. No job is worth that, and will not make the difference in getting accepted. Taking on debt to complete a SMP will be a fraction of your total debt upon graduating medical school. The debt you take on for a SMP is a fraction of what you'll make in 1 year as an attending physician.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, but at least through a SMP you'll have a real shot of getting in. Right now you have virtually no shot, and time will just keep marching on.

Reactions: 2 users