Re-applicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman_up

Colorado SDM 2026
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just wanting to get advice on how to improve my chances for admission next cycle as a re-applicant. This past cycle was my first time and I applied to 12 schools varying from private to public. I received 3 interviews and 3 waitlists (Colorado, Roseman, and Minnesota). Obviously, a DAT retake is required, but I was curious what else I should do to improve my application.

Some quick background before I provide my stats: Non-traditional student, military veteran with a background in dental. I am married with 2 kids, so I will be taking a job outside of dental this year in order to pay the bills.

DAT:
AA 18
TS 17
RC 23
QR 16
PAT 19
BIO 16 (oof)
OC 18
GC 19

OGPA: 3.4 (Bad first semester, transferred colleges after my freshman year and will be graduating from my current university with a 3.6)
SGPA: 3.11 (increasing slightly due to 3 A's in science classes this semester)

Dental Experience: 4 years of dental employment in a military dental clinic.
Shadowing: 430+ hours
Volunteer: 400+ hours

Members don't see this ad.

Was just wanting to get advice on how to improve my chances for admission next cycle as a re-applicant. This past cycle was my first time and I applied to 12 schools varying from private to public. I received 3 interviews and 3 waitlists (Colorado, Roseman, and Minnesota). Obviously, a DAT retake is required, but I was curious what else I should do to improve my application.

Some quick background before I provide my stats: Non-traditional student, military veteran with a background in dental. I am married with 2 kids, so I will be taking a job outside of dental this year in order to pay the bills.

DAT:
AA 18
TS 17
RC 23
QR 16
PAT 19
BIO 16 (oof)
OC 18
GC 19

OGPA: 3.4 (Bad first semester, transferred colleges after my freshman year and will be graduating from my current university with a 3.6)
SGPA: 3.11 (increasing slightly due to 3 A's in science classes this semester)

Dental Experience: 4 years of dental employment in a military dental clinic.
Shadowing: 430+ hours
Volunteer: 400+ hours
yes, retake the dat
but i would suspect that your interviewing skills need some practice too
3 interviews and 3 waitlists makes me think that may be the case...

Reactions: 1 user
Re-applying also shows your determination. And application with re-writing personal essay + improved DAT scores is a recipe for success. I agree with practicing your interview skills (use the STAR method - situation, task, assessment, result).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yes, retake the dat
but i would suspect that your interviewing skills need some practice too
3 interviews and 3 waitlists makes me think that may be the case...
Re-applying also shows your determination. And application with re-writing personal essay + improved DAT scores is a recipe for success. I agree with practicing your interview skills (use the STAR method - situation, task, assessment, result).
Definite retake, I recognize that is my biggest issue on my application. I was curious about my interview skill also with the 3 waitlists, but all of my mock interview feedback was very positive, and I've received compliments on interviews throughout my professional career as well, so I'm not completely convinced on that aspect. I'll be certain to run through some more mock interviews this year though.

Definite retake, I recognize that is my biggest issue on my application. I was curious about my interview skill also with the 3 waitlists, but all of my mock interview feedback was very positive, and I've received compliments on interviews throughout my professional career as well, so I'm not completely convinced on that aspect. I'll be certain to run through some more mock interviews this year though.
first of all, thank you for your service
second, if you got an interview offer, that means they thought you had the potential to do well in school, so they extended the invite
your interview did not fully convince them that they should make the acceptance offer right away
this (hopefully) explains my answer better
not saying your interview skills are poor, just that they didn't take your application over the top

if you improve your dat and make sure your school list is chosen well, you have a shot at succeeding this cycle
good luck and keep us updated...