Apr 29, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I applied only to my state school this past cycle due to money issues and I was willing to wait a year save around $100,000 if I didn't get in the first time. That being said, I am applying out of state this year and was wondering my chances.

DAT:
OC-23
GC-23
BIO-20
RC-19
QR-17
PAT-21
TS-21
AA-20

GPA-3.60
sGPA-3.49

I believe I will be applying to:
Alabama, Iowa, Michigan, Georgia, Nova, Tufts, Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee, Marquette, Washington, South Carolina and Boston.

Extra Curricular:
Multiple leadership positions, dental related lab research, ~350 shadowing hours (each sub-field), published scientific material, ~200 volunteer/community service hours.

The year off:
Dental assisting postion most likely if available, if not a research position at a medical school in the area.

Not new to SDN, just created another account for this cycle. Thanks for your input, Im beginning to freak out a bit all over again.

Feb 10, 2012
Michigan
Status
Pre-Dental
Your stats look good, but before you decide where to apply, do a little research. Many state schools accept only a small percentage of out-of-staters (ex. Iowa and Alabama < 20% and Georgia=0% !!) depending on the class size, that's only a handful of people. The ADEA Guide to Dental Schools has all of that info, along with average GPA and DAT scores. The advising office at my school buys a few copies for students to borrow for free, maybe yours does too. I'm not saying don't apply to those schools, just realize what your realistic chances are so you don't waste money.

Duriel

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Your stats look good, but before you decide where to apply, do a little research. Many state schools accept only a small percentage of out-of-staters (ex. Iowa and Alabama < 20% and Georgia=0% !!) depending on the class size, that's only a handful of people. The ADEA Guide to Dental Schools has all of that info, along with average GPA and DAT scores. The advising office at my school buys a few copies for students to borrow for free, maybe yours does too. I'm not saying don't apply to those schools, just realize what your realistic chances are so you don't waste money.
Georgia is 5%

wizi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
You are good to go. You need to do more research on your schools of choice though. Why boston, North Carolina, Georgia and Iowa?

Consider adding these schools: VCU, Maryland, ASDOH, NYU, UOP, Temple, Indiana, Roseman.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student
Apply to Temple. Decent chance here if you apply early and interview well. 20 and 3.5 is around the average. If you're applying as an out of stater - you're scores may be too low for many state schools. Most accept very few out of staters and when they do, they have epic stats ;)