Re-applicant...Need advice (stats inside)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a chance of getting into an MD or DO schools?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

s_k92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a reapplicant and I just wanted some advice on what I can do to improve my chances.

I am applying for this upcoming cycle (2015-2016), but any advice is appreciated. I am applying to both MD and DO. I am not planning to aim for any unrealistic schools.

My stats are
GPA 3.43 ( following an upward trend)
First MCAT try: 20 - I have been studying to take it again in August.
Honors students with several honors awards and scholarships
Work Experience:
- Started my own photography business
- Will be working as a medical assistant for a year in a local gastroenterology clinic for my gap year
Research Experience:
- Worked in a bionanotechnology lab for a year
- Worked in a cancer research lab for a few months
- Presented my research as the Undergraduate Symposium
- Will be the co-author of a published journal
Extracurriculars:
- Served as the internal communications director for a relief agency for 2 and a half years
- Lead a team to coordinate a free local health day for my community
- Served as an organizational president/vp amongst other leadership positions for 4 years
- Shadowed 4 different doctors over the span of about 2-3 months each
- Spoke as a keynote speaker at a national conference about youth involvement
- Will be serving as a volunteer at my local hospital for the upcoming year
- Working as co-producer to a television series
- Volunteered at a local free heath clinic
- Organized health-related projects for the Haitian community through relief agency

What are my chances of getting into an MD or DO school, if I am able to break a 30 on the MCAT? I surpass the benchmark for most DO schools and fall in their average range with my GPA. I have been doing fairly well in my practice exams and wanted any advice or comments that would help.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

by the time your MCAT comes back it may be too late for you this year. why did you apply w/ a 20 in the first place? hard to improve from a 20 to a 30 without significant changes in your study habits. what are you doing differently this time around that makes you think you could get a 30?

take a formal prep course or search in MCAT forum for effective strategies. postpone your scheduled date. do not apply this year.

I am applying for this upcoming cycle (2015-2016)

This upcoming cycle is 2014-2015 I believe? Do you mean the cycle that starts next week or next year? Like LTL said, it seems like some of your stuff is in the future tense right now (MCAT, hospital volunteer, medical assistant) and perhaps it would be a better idea to finish those before you apply. If you take the MCAT in August, the score's out in Sept so your app won't be complete then, you will be behind the competition.

You do have nice ECs, but how much clinical volunteer do you have? I see the volunteer at the local free health clinic only.

Also, do you have a special motivation in terms of medicine and media? You've got your own photography business and is a co-producer. Spin those right and you may make an unique applicant, spin those wrong you may seem unfocused? It would be interesting indeed if you have special goals you want to achieve with involvements in both.