Re-applicant Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pythagorean

We're all on our way out. Act accordingly.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am relatively new to this forum so please do excuse me if this subject has been, or is currently being, thoroughly addressed in a separate thread. I was unable to locate it.

I am currently re-applying to medical school and want to re-use my personal statement from the previous cycle. The first time I applied my MCAT and GPA were rather embarrassing; therefore I doubt many, if any, admissions representatives even read my PS (I received zero interview invites).

I really like my PS I wrote from my previous application cycle and was hoping to re-use it with a few tweakings here and there. After asking around I keep getting opinion based responses from my peers. I was wondering if anyone knows for a fact as to whether re-using a personal statement is frowned upon or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told that when reapplying, adcoms look more stringently on improvements since the last cycle. I was told "you aren't the same person this year as last, so your PS should reflect that."

Also, even if no one looked over your PS, I think they still have your previous AMCAS on file and they can compare them.

For what it's worth: I scrapped my first PS and took another direction. I was accepted the second go around! However, I think your be ok with keeping a central theme and maybe adding in a couple of updates? Just to show that you have gained more insight.

Good luck!

Def tweak it. For my next go around I rewrote the whole thing but used the same story/ideas. Turned out 10x better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by the director of admissions at my state school (not texas) that they shred the previous years applications. Could be only my state, but just something to consider.

If I was you, I would write a new one. I am sure you have new experiences since you applied last time. Best of luck.

Schools will know that you are a reapplicant. So wouldn't you want to talk about how you've improved your application in your PS?

There is a thread of personal statement reviewers. You can send it to someone for feedback. Since it's the off season, people are more available to give you feedback. If you've previously applied unsuccessfully, regardless of grades/mcat, I think it's a good idea to get feedback. And if all feedback is positive, ask for more until you get constructive advice.

I'd be happy to give feedback if you private message me.

There is a thread of personal statement reviewers. You can send it to someone for feedback. Since it's the off season, people are more available to give you feedback. If you've previously applied unsuccessfully, regardless of grades/mcat, I think it's a good idea to get feedback. And if all feedback is positive, ask for more until you get constructive advice.

I'd be happy to give feedback if you private message me.

I am in the same predicament, would you be able to look at my essay??

Going along with this, what do you guys suggest for a "most meaningful experience" essay? One of my 3 essays is for an activity that I had completed before I applied my first time. Do you think adcoms might be disappointed if this essay isn't rewritten? Seems kind of unnecessary since nothing about it changed since I last applied. Feels like I'm just changing the wording, which is bound to lower its quality. On the other hand, some people are saying "rewrite everything"

Hello, I am relatively new to this forum so please do excuse me if this subject has been, or is currently being, thoroughly addressed in a separate thread. I was unable to locate it.

I am currently re-applying to medical school and want to re-use my personal statement from the previous cycle. The first time I applied my MCAT and GPA were rather embarrassing; therefore I doubt many, if any, admissions representatives even read my PS (I received zero interview invites).

I really like my PS I wrote from my previous application cycle and was hoping to re-use it with a few tweakings here and there. After asking around I keep getting opinion based responses from my peers. I was wondering if anyone knows for a fact as to whether re-using a personal statement is frowned upon or not?

I used same PS and received interviews at most schools that I applied to. Only change in application was my MCAT.

Going along with this, what do you guys suggest for a "most meaningful experience" essay? One of my 3 essays is for an activity that I had completed before I applied my first time. Do you think adcoms might be disappointed if this essay isn't rewritten? Seems kind of unnecessary since nothing about it changed since I last applied. Feels like I'm just changing the wording, which is bound to lower its quality. On the other hand, some people are saying "rewrite everything"

That's a tuffy. My gut response is to say, re-write it anyway. Surely in the intervening year you've reflected on said most meaningful experience and might have something different to say about it in light of other activities you've pursued during the past year. If that's really not the case, and you're positive there's nothing to improve in the essay, leaving it be might be okay. FWIW, I re-wrote everything from scratch, even my college experiences that are years behind me now, because the thought of an adcom casually pulling up both essays and seeing no change gave me more heartburn than having to slog through the writing again.

I think the PS is definitely something that deserves a rewrite. Hopefully you WANT to rewrite it because you have new and enlightening experiences to draw from.

As for most meaningful activities, probably don't need to rewrite them. But consider that your application as a whole was rejected and that could indicate poor writing or not getting your message across as well as you liked. In that case a rewrite is a necessity.

Either way, feel free to PM me your essay if you want.

sure. just PM it to me.
I just finish my PS after a long decision whether to start a new application or wait to hear from the schools I interviewed at. Will you be able to help look over my PS? Thanks in advance!

I just finish my PS after a long decision whether to start a new application or wait to hear from the schools I interviewed at. Will you be able to help look over my PS? Thanks in advance!

I don't know if I'll have a chance since I'm moving for residency, but just PM it to me.

I don't know if I'll have a chance since I'm moving for residency, but just PM it to me.
Hi. Could I also get in on this PS feedback? I really like my first PS, but I also want an objective perspective, so I'm willing to change it, if you think it's not good enough. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks if you can and if you can't :)

Hi. Could I also get in on this PS feedback? I really like my first PS, but I also want an objective perspective, so I'm willing to change it, if you think it's not good enough. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks if you can and if you can't :)
PM me and I'll give you my opinion.