Re-applicant seeking advice: school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Positivevibes5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this SDN thing but I see a lot of people seeking advice like this and getting great feedback so I am hoping the SDN world will give me some as well! Sorry for the length but I’m just going to lay it all out there.

I applied in the 2016 cycle and learned A LOT about the process. So I am trying to correct the mistakes I made and make sure I get every piece of advice that I can get for this next cycle. I’m curious what schools you all believe are in my ball park.

I believe my EC's are pretty good, the biggest factor I am missing is research but since I am out of school that isn't something I can do. Please let me know what you all think:

Volunteer hours: >300 (currently working on this to have more by the time June comes around)

Shadowing hours: >150 I have shadowed different doctors in different fields

Direct patient care: >1200 (+ more for my new app as I work full time with patients daily now)

GPA of >3.6

The MCAT (498-505) was my biggest downfall this cycle, I believe, as well as getting my secondaries in late.

In all:What list of schools would you advise?
(My goal is to make a huge jump on the MCAT ~515 but I want to make my list for a score of ~510)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where did you apply this past cycle? Any interviews or wait list? Where is your state of residence? When did you apply and complete your secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything looks good except the MCAT score, retake it and score higher. You said the dates are full in your town, can you drive a couple hours and stay in a hotel and take it at a better date? As for schools, pick private schools that are mid to low tier as far as MCAT and gpa. Of course apply to your state school.

Also, I would go for at least 15-20 schools. It can be expensive but necessary to get in. And apply as early as possible. Pre write secondaries and the primary, you can find secondaries from previous year here on sdn.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything looks good except the MCAT score, retake it and score higher. You said the dates are full in your town, can you drive a couple hours and stay in a hotel and take it at a better date? As for schools, pick private schools that are mid to low tier as far as MCAT and gpa. Of course apply to your state school.

Also, I would go for at least 15-20 schools. It can be expensive but necessary to get in. And apply as early as possible. Pre write secondaries and the primary, you can find secondaries from previous year here on sdn.

Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately the only other testing center is in Reno which is 8 hours away from Las Vegas. I guess I could think about doing a hotel and plan for travel but it makes me nervous to add that kind of stress on an important day.

Would you advise to use MSAR to find those mid to low tier schools?

Would you advise to use MSAR to find those mid to low tier schools?

Yeah, you can sort by MCAT and gpa and whether they're private. Don't forget to look at mission statements and number who apply versus number who get interviews. I spent hours doing this and compiled my list. You never really know which school will like what they see and offer an interview.

You have identified your weaknesses. The first is the low MCAT score. If you can increase that to 508 you will be more competitive. Also submit all your secondaries by July. Schools that you could apply to with a 508 or higher include:
U Nevada (both schools)
U Arizona (both schools)
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open in 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall, etc.)
If your MCAT score is less than 508 then apply to at least 10 DO schools also. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

You have identified your weaknesses. The first is the low MCAT score. If you can increase that to 508 you will be more competitive. Also submit all your secondaries by July. Schools that you could apply to with a 508 or higher include:
U Nevada (both schools)
U Arizona (both schools)
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new private schools that open in 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall, etc.)
If your MCAT score is less than 508 then apply to at least 10 DO schools also. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Wow thank you!

I am from Nevada, I did not submit my secondaries until October.

I applied to the following:
Drexel
Georgetown
Temple
Loyala Stritch
Medical college of Wisconsin
Oregon Health and Science University
Miami Miller
University of Vermont
U of A Tucson
University of Michigan (I know this was way reaching)
UNLV: Interviewed and on Hold
No UNR???