Re-applicant seeking help - Does taking more classes help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docintheory

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I hope to continue to get help through these forums 🙂 I was once an applicant right after I got my bachelor's in biology (GPA - 3.30) and needless to say didn't get anywhere with the application process. Afterwards I decided to get a Master's in Science of Journalism specializing in Medical/Science Journalism and almost done (hopefully by December). My English/writing background is just as strong as my science.

I am planning to go back into the mix of applying/reapplying to medical schools in the next application cycle after graduating. My hope is to get back into the hard science by taking some upper-level biology/physiology courses for a year at a near by university. Since being out of the sciences for nearly a year-and-half (a little more than that), I wanna demonstrate my compotency in the sciences for the 2007-2008 application cycle and back-up my older science grades.

I am not sure if anyone else has similar experiences close to mine, I've taken the MCAT long ago (scored a 28Q ) - but the score has long since expired, and plan to take the April 2007 MCAT (hopefully hit high 30's).

Taking this different path - will this help with admissions in any sort of way? And is taking extra classes a good idea? The experiences I gained from this Master's has revealed other facets of medicine and also has given me really interesting opportunities. So I am hoping that my extra curriculars and a high MCAT will help supplement my progressing science GPA.

Any help, advice, nuggets of bitter truth helps 🙂 Sorry for the long post. I wish everyone good luck in their quest.
 
Well, I'm actually starting dental school in a few weeks. Yes, absolutely, taking additional upper level science courses definitely helped my application to dental school. They took my undergrad science gpa, and added all the additional science courses I took and it increased my science gpa. It also showed that I had a strong desire to stay in school. Plus, it showed adcoms that I was used to the daily grind of being a student .....exams, etc.....I graduated undergrad in 2001(I took classes while working full-time).