Re-applicant seeking help - Does taking more classes help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docintheory

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope to continue to get help through these forums :) I was once an applicant right after I got my bachelor's in biology (GPA - 3.30) and needless to say didn't get anywhere with the application process. Afterwards I decided to get a Master's in Science of Journalism specializing in Medical/Science Journalism and almost done (hopefully by December). My English/writing background is just as strong as my science.

I am planning to go back into the mix of applying/reapplying to medical schools in the next application cycle after graduating. My hope is to get back into the hard science by taking some upper-level biology/physiology courses for a year at a near by university. Since being out of the sciences for nearly a year-and-half (a little more than that), I wanna demonstrate my compotency in the sciences for the 2007-2008 application cycle and back-up my older science grades.

I am not sure if anyone else has similar experiences close to mine, I've taken the MCAT long ago (scored a 28Q ) - but the score has long since expired, and plan to take the April 2007 MCAT (hopefully hit high 30's).

Taking this different path - will this help with admissions in any sort of way? And is taking extra classes a good idea? The experiences I gained from this Master's has revealed other facets of medicine and also has given me really interesting opportunities. So I am hoping that my extra curriculars and a high MCAT will help supplement my progressing science GPA.

Any help, advice, nuggets of bitter truth helps :) Sorry for the long post. I wish everyone good luck in their quest.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm actually starting dental school in a few weeks. Yes, absolutely, taking additional upper level science courses definitely helped my application to dental school. They took my undergrad science gpa, and added all the additional science courses I took and it increased my science gpa. It also showed that I had a strong desire to stay in school. Plus, it showed adcoms that I was used to the daily grind of being a student .....exams, etc.....I graduated undergrad in 2001(I took classes while working full-time).